Author Topic: New Vise  (Read 10056 times)

Offline mrchuck

• Contributor
  • retired Federal LEO Ranger
Re: New Vise
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:23 AM »
The walls look straight. The roof looks solid. The siding also looks great.
A medium amount of clean-up, coat of stain or paint and you have a really nice shop.
Any improvements on the inside will not be hard.
Be sure and have a solid door and lock for your own security.
I used that 1" Styrofoam sheathing with aluminum foil on it for the wall surface, with insulation batting between the studs.
Your steep inside roof will be hard to keep heat in with the windows on each end, unless you put a ceiling in, and a stair case to use the area above the ceiling for storage.
A super great work shop in the making.
Molon Labe

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:54 AM »
That's the way to go John K Kool
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline john k

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
Chuck, your insulation idea is exactly what I have in mind.  Am also thinking it may help with the summer sun on that south slope.  The windows are definitely going to be modfied to energy efficient ones.  I plan on a storage loft in one or both ends, but the area above the forge will be to the peak, or a couple of feet below, plan to cover it all with insulation board.  Right now it is as built for a chicken house, with a six foot two ceiling!  Am slowly tearing things out, and moving the joists up to the sill.  Will have an eight and half foot ceiling at the lowest.   Have some big old reflector shop lights, and a couple of ceiling fans up high, exhaust fan, and a wood stove.  I put in some trusses when I reroofed it.  It is getting hard to find corrugated galvanized roofing. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »
John K show photos when you are done.  Or in stages
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com