Author Topic: Is there a name for this type of screwdriver?  (Read 1311 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Is there a name for this type of screwdriver?
« on: April 04, 2018, 05:11:48 PM »
No marks on this screwdriver, wood handle, about 13 inches long and has Philips bit but can be changed to others.  I would call it a speedy driver, but ?????

Offline oldgoaly

Re: Is there a name for this type of screwdriver?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 05:50:23 PM »
I've seen electricians use these for finishing off the receptacles and light switches.
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
Hello, Coolford. That is what I would say , too. Speed Screwdriver, and what oldgoaly said. Regards,Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline toolman

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:05:20 AM »
No marks on this screwdriver, wood handle, about 13 inches long and has Philips bit but can be changed to others.  I would call it a speedy driver, but ?????

I believe you are correct, in a "speedy driver". I have owned one for years, and if i could find it in my pile i would post it. My homework, (as i remember), indicated they were used in the aircraft industry, and usually had a removable "deburring bit" installed, for countersunk rivet hole clean up.
Here is a similar one i found online. PS: As i remember, also used on Dzus panel fastener install and removal.

https://www.browntool.com/Listview/tabid/344/ProductID/2802/Default.aspx

« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:31:08 AM by toolman »

Offline toolman

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 09:26:32 PM »
The one thing i forgot to add to the description, was "Dogleg". So, a "Vintage, Dogleg Deburring tool", is my last, best and final answer, as far as the correct name, or term of your tool. You will need to look at an old aviation hand tools catalog to see the wood handled one, as it is old school, or you may find one,  on one of the many tool auctions online.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 05:23:14 PM »
I was a pilot and maintenance officer back in the days we had the Dzus fasteners. However, I never came across a tool like this one.  As I said, this one has a #2 Phillips in the end.  Thanks all for the input.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »
The one thing i forgot to add to the description, was "Dogleg". So, a "Vintage, Dogleg Deburring tool", is my last, best and final answer, as far as the correct name, or term of your tool. You will need to look at an old aviation hand tools catalog to see the wood handled one, as it is old school, or you may find one,  on one of the many tool auctions online.
I feel real bad for the dog whose leg is shaped like that!