Author Topic: Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.... Updated info  (Read 1128 times)

Offline UncleBill

Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.... Updated info
« on: April 05, 2018, 01:49:57 PM »
Ok.. It stood out in a bucket of sockets but it just looked like a big ol' universal 3/4" drive S-K Tools socket extension.  I seriously looked up the S-K number 47148 and was dumbfounded when I kept finding a 1 1/2" socket for the picture.  I couldn't figure it out and just stared at it and had a couple more beers.  Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious....  Then it came to me - Oh S#%*!  Someone broke the universal and then found a 1 1/2" S-K socket and welded it on to fix it.....

Now the question comes to my mind is "How did they break it in the first place?"..

******Updated Info*****  I got in touch with the person who sold this to me and he fully remembered the item.. What happened was he was working on a D41 (semi or tractor, I didn't ask)  and there was a frozen nut/bolt they couldn't get off so he stood on the breaker bar and bounced up and down and then he heard a big crack and though he was going to be dead... Snapped the universal... and then had to weld the S-K on to finish the job.. The nut/bolt finally loosened up :).. FYI he looks about 6 foot - 220 to 240 pounds...

This universal extension is 5 1/4" long and weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 09:55:36 AM by UncleBill »

Offline p_toad

Re: Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious....
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:17:36 PM »
10 foot bar they jumped on?   Good grief...    :cry:

Offline turnnut

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
  ??? or did they cut it to make a flex socket that they use a lot ???

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 09:29:57 PM »
Good thinking, turnnut.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 08:34:16 AM »
1-1/2"......wow.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline UncleBill

Re: Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.... Updated info
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
******Updated Info*****  I got in touch with the person who sold this to me and he fully remembered the item.. What happened was he was working on a D41 (semi or tractor, I didn't ask)  and there was a frozen nut/bolt they couldn't get off so he stood on the breaker bar and bounced up and down and then he heard a big crack and though he was going to be dead... Snapped the universal... and then had to weld the S-K on to finish the job.. The nut/bolt finally loosened up :).. FYI he looks about 6 foot - 220 to 240 pounds...

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: Sometimes the obvious isn't so obvious.... Updated info
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 12:06:09 PM »
Still though....I can't believe he was able to bust it. Wow
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.