Author Topic: Ratchet Repair  (Read 1501 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Ratchet Repair
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:55:52 PM »
Hello, I am finally getting around to fixing these, a Proto 1/2" Drive, and an S-K 3/8" Drive. Both companies provided the repair parts free of charge. I could not believe the crud that was inside of the 2 heads, this is what they look like after a good cleaning. I will post pics after re-assembly. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Nolatoolguy

Re: Ratchet Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
I love those Sk roto Head ratchets. have two myself, one for work one for home.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 11:24:34 PM »
I only use oil in my ratchets. I worked as a engine mechanic for 32 years at the same job. Whenever I picked up a used ratchet I would clean it very well and check for wear or damage. I always used oil in my ratchets. Once a week I would flush them out in the solvent tank, blow dry them and re oil them. I always try to use a breaker bar to loosen tight nuts and bolts and then used a ratchet to finish the job. I only broke two ratchets in 32 years at work by using a cheater bar. A 3/8 drive Mustang and a 1/2 inch round head quick release Craftsman. Most people at work used grease in their ratchets. In the summer months that worked ok, but come winter the grease would thicken in the ratchets and not allow the internal parts to mesh properly causing wear and breakage. The biggest problem I had at work was my tools growing legs and walking away.

EvilDr235

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 06:21:18 AM »
Hello, EvilDr235. Thanks for the tip, a lot of what I pulled out of the heads was dried up grease & dirt!!!!!. Regards, Lou

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
The only time I have seen a Plomb or Proto pear head ratchet fail was because of dirt and grease. Plomb and Proto have very light tension springs in them. If you have gunk and grease in the ratchet head the pawls can't fully engage ratchet wheel which wears away the teeth leading to failure. The Plomb and Proto design is 79 years old and still being made and copied by others for a good reason.

EvilDr235

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:56:26 PM »
lptools how did you get a free ratchet repair kit from Proto ? I have called the company several times over the last couple of months and keep getting the same woman on the phone. I told her I had several ratchets that needed repair kits and she told me to search the internet that there was plenty of kits for sale there. I have gotten several kits from S&K without ever a problem. I needed a set of 12 X 24 machine screws for a 3/4 inch Proto ratchet. A local company had the correct size in a bag of 100 for $6.00  Home Depot wanted $1.18 for just three. I find that conical springs for Proto ratchets are the hardest to find.

EvilDr235
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:04:29 PM by EVILDR235 »

Offline strik9

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 09:36:14 PM »
If function over obsessive holding to original is good there is an easy spring replacement.

Anything that uses batteries has some in the battery compartment.   They work just fine.  I have used them myself to fix rust damaged units.
The only bad tool is the one that couldn't finish the job.  Ironicly it may be the best tool for the next job.

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 01:06:46 AM »
lptools how did you get a free ratchet repair kit from Proto ? I have called the company several times over the last couple of months and keep getting the same woman on the phone. I told her I had several ratchets that needed repair kits and she told me to search the internet that there was plenty of kits for sale there. I have gotten several kits from S&K without ever a problem. I need a set of 12 X 24 machine screws for a 3/4 inch Proto ratchet. A local company had the correct size in a bag of 100 for $6.00  Home Depot wanted $1.18 for just three. I find that conical springs for Proto ratchets are the hardest to find.

EvilDr235

I rebuilt 2 Proto ratchets couple months ago. I got the full warranty rebuild kits from my works Proto dealer. I still have the good parts I took out. Not sure the exact pieces but will look If someone can use them. Let me know if there’s any interest.
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 06:49:21 AM »
Hello, Evildr235. Yes, I did get the Proto rebuild kit for free, but I don't remember if I got that from our local guy, or called direct. 12-24 is a tough screw size to find, most places jump from 10-32 to 1/4-20. If you still need a few of the screws, I can get them here,  and I will send them to you. PM me with the head style, if you are interested. Regards, Lou

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »
I have a package of 100 right now. I bought a bag of bulk screws for $6.00  I buy in bulk at Tacoma Screw a chain of hardware stores in the Northwest. Thank you for the offer tho.

EvilDr235

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
Hello, All. Ratchets re-assembled (with light machine oil) and working!!!  The S-K was pretty straightforward, basically swapping parts, took more time to clean the head & frame than it did to install the new parts. The Proto was a bit of a challenge, staking the piece that holds the selector was tricky. The screws in the repair kit were too long, not by much,and seemed to have set too far in the countersunk holes.   I looked at the old ones, same length, but I found remnants of external tooth star washers. I used a couple of those and it solved the problem of the screws going too far through the faceplate. Also brought the screw heads flush with the ratchet head. I re-installed the old face plate to keep things as original as possible. (whew) . Regards, Lou

Offline p_toad

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
Still good looking ratchets and good to see that the parts are still available.   Nice!  :smiley:

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 04:08:49 PM »
Many years ago a co-worker gave me a S&K Rotohead ratchet because some of the teeth were missing. I tossed it in the dumpster. Dumb move on my part. I am trying to make contact with Mr. Peabody to see if he will take me in his WABAC time machine so I can find that ratchet. For now I got one of those rotohead ones from H.F. whose name shall not be spoken.

EvilDr235