Author Topic: Eifel Plierench internal spring -- where's it supposed to go?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline catalytic

I just got my first Eifel Plierench. Currently, the small spring inside is doing nothing. I suspect it's supposed to keep the handle that engages the movable jaw 'up'/keep the sliding pin 'up'.

I wonder if mine is either in the wrong position, or whether one of the two ends of the spring is broken off (currently only one sticks out)

Can someone post a picture of their spring, or describe where it's supposed to engage and whether it's supposed to have one or two 'tails' sticking out of the coil?

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Eifel Plierench internal spring -- where's it supposed to go?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 06:04:20 AM »
I just looked at a pair I have and the end of the spring is bent 90 degrees and  goes in a small hole on the frame about where the "top of the arrow" is in your first picture. The other end goes under a "boss" that is on the moveable handle.
Mine are much newer so things have changed. I can see that the spring on yours has several coils, while mine has only one.

Hopefully 'yadda' will see this as he is the Eiffel guru.

By the way, Welcome to Tool Talk. Great bunch of very knowledgeable people.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Yadda

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 06:36:38 PM »
Hi catalytic!

Nice find! 1922 B version. This was the first 8.5 inch Plierench. 

I have several 22's.  I will pull the out and take a look.  I'll also get photos if possible.

Regards,
Yadda
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline p_toad

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 06:53:22 PM »
A warm welcome to Papaws Tool Talk, catalytic.   You should enjoy it here and these guys know a lot (I, on the other hand, know very little   :sad:)

Offline catalytic

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 07:13:16 PM »
Thanks guys! Definitely looking forward to pictures!

I hang out on owwm, garagejournal, and practicalmachinist a fair amount, but I haven't made it over here until now. I mostly work on restoring old machine tools and wodworking machines, but I've ended up with a fair collection of older hand tools to work on them. This plierwrench (once I get it working) will be the perfect thing in this application, since 'regular' pliers' teeth and non-parallel jaw closure can damage a part you're restoring in a hurry. It took me a while to find the 8-1/2" version with the old style cast lettering (because I like the look) and the original pouch & two spare jaws. Fingers crossed my spring is complete and just in the wrong orientation!

The funny thing is, they were working perfectly and just dirty until I put them in the ultrasonic to be cleaned. I think the ultrasonic dissolved the large clump of hardened grease/swarf that was keeping the moving jaw in the right place.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 09:43:19 AM »
Hello, Welcome to the Forums from Central New York, where it is still winter!!!!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 10:20:27 PM »
Here you go.  Two different 1922 B. Plierenches

Offline Yadda

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 10:24:24 PM »
This shot show the spring wire under the retaining pin. Since the picture is upside down look above the pin.  :grin:
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:52:53 PM by Yadda »

Offline catalytic

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 11:25:35 PM »
Thanks for the pics! This is really helpful.

If you're interested, check out Joseph Eifel's patents sometime:

Here's a very early 1912 plierrench, which looks more like a wrench:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1244966A/en?assignee=%22joseph+eifel%22&oq=%22joseph+eifel%22

A second 1912 patent, starting to look more like a plierwrench
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1181654A/en?assignee=%22joseph+eifel%22&oq=%22joseph+eifel%22

A 1917 version with angle offset jaws:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1542123A/en?assignee=%22joseph+eifel%22&oq=%22joseph+eifel%22

1927 showing the plierwrench we all know (patent is for improvements, namely a new type of non-coiled, removable spring and various jaw types)
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1862817A/en?assignee=%22joseph+eifel%22&oq=%22joseph+eifel%22

Here's the full list of Joseph Eifel's patents:
https://patents.google.com/?inventor=Eifel+Joseph

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 08:42:09 PM »
Thanks for posting all the Eifel patents. There were a couple of them I didn’t know about.

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
Ya thanks for the patent links. There is one there that I didn't have on my list. (Looks like you have them listed by application date, whereas I've got them by issue date.)
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.