Author Topic: I think I know what these are but...  (Read 1385 times)

Offline larry2c

I think I know what these are but...
« on: May 29, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »
I'm looking for some confirmation and trying to figure out if they were something my Grandpa made or if they were something a mechanic could buy back in the day. I think these are tools for removing the "guts" from a tire valve stem, cleaning up the threads inside of the stem and on the outside. The one round end of the tool is similar to modern day valve gut removal tools and the other round end is like a one fluted tap and yes, the thread pitch & diameter match the valve guts that I have (also found a couple hundred valve stem guts in a separate drawer). The 3 holes in the middle of the tool are different sizes and are like a thread die - and one fits the valves on my inner tubes. There is no identification on either tool.

Just for background, I found these in an old machinist toolbox that my Grandpa made. He was a machinist at Goodyear for about 30 years from roughly the 30's till the 60's. He was also a very good back yard mechanic so having a valve stem tool sort of fits. He was also an amazing Rube Goldberg so the possibility that he just made something he needed exists.

If this is a real tool that was made for production, I'm hoping somebody might know where I could find manufacturing info on it. I've Googled about every variety of terms I could think of but came up dry.

Thanks for the help! Oh, and what a great idea for a forum - I'm sure I'll be spending some time here  :grin:

Offline p_toad

Re: I think I know what these are but...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 07:30:58 PM »
Welcome to the Tool Talk forum Larry.   Hope you enjoy your time here.

Very interesting tire valve tools.  Have never seen any like that before.   :smiley:

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
That's a nifty design, but new to me.  I wonder if they were something else, modified as tire valve removal tools?

Offline amecks

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 09:15:42 PM »
Welcome to Tool Talk.  Nice tire tools.  Are they identical or do they look like they were individually made?  Chances are they were manufactured as these tools were common back in Grandpa's days.  The fact that Grandpa worked at Goodyear should be a starting point for research.  A letter to the Company with a photo of the tools might bring an answer.
Regards
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 09:45:48 PM »
Welcome to Tool talk !
Look like tire valve tools to me, though I have never seen that style.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline larry2c

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:29:40 AM »
After examining the tools a little more closely, the one looks like it may be a "factory built" tool but the other looks hand made.

Thanks for the suggestion of contacting Goodyear - I'll give that a try!

Offline turnnut

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 09:56:22 AM »
 welcome to tool talk,  they look very interesting, as I have not seen that type before.

as a machinist for Goodyear, it may be possible that he was involved in making prototypes of valve stems of many shape for trucks, automobiles,
 tractors, ail planes, motorcycles tubes. so he may have used it as a test gauge/clean up tool.

hope that you enjoy your time here, Frank from Massachusetts

Offline larry2c

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
Hi all and my apologies for jumping right in with a question before introducing myself. I'm recently retired with over 40 years as a machinist, NC Programmer and for the last 10 years or so an all around manufacturing troubleshooter. I've worked for several different companies including a stint in the USN and for the last 30 years a southern California aerospace company. I have a small knee mill in my garage and enjoy making things, occasionally breaking things and then fixing them.

I just stumbled onto this forum while looking for an answer to the "what is it" question but I can see that there are plenty of knowledgeable and interesting folks here so I imagine I'll be hanging around a bit. Hopefully I can contribute to the knowledge pool in some way.

Thanks again for the replies!

Offline p_toad

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »
"stint in the USN"

And thank you for you service!   :smiley:

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 07:56:24 PM »
Hello, Larry. A very warm welcome from Central New York State!!!!!  Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline bill300d

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 07:57:31 PM »
"stint in the USN"

And thank you for you service!   :smiley:
The same goes here too
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.