Author Topic: Garage Gazette outage  (Read 51607 times)

Offline john k

• Contributor
Re: Garage Gazette outage
« Reply #105 on: June 27, 2018, 09:32:47 PM »
Never had a brand new car,  but did get wife several new Jeeps, mainly so I didn't worry about her being stuck on the highway.   Did get a new pickup in 86.   Needed one for a job I had,  Mazda B2000,  drove it 195,000.   Right now got our last new  Jeep, an 08 Liberty,  which has the unlimited lifetime powertrain warranty,  they only offered that a year or two.   Coming up on ten years old, still running the original battery.   Just not done a lot to it other than brakes.  Today the speedo rolled over 196K.  My 96 Chevy 1500 has 204K and still runs good,  so not seeing a need to upgrade.  Got a few more sitting in the yard as backup, and a few more as long term projects, which I predict will keep be broke til I expire. 
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #106 on: June 28, 2018, 06:50:43 AM »
 GG and MG have now been down for 21 days. I for one cannot understand this. What if anything is going on? Because of my ban from HM, I have no other place to go but here. Thank you for allowing me the oportunity.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 06:53:45 AM by Bill Gruby »

Offline Carpenter84

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2018, 07:27:50 AM »
Same, bill. I don't have many opportunities throughout the day to just sit down and relax, when I do, I usually try to read something on my phone. The forums are a nice outlet. And all the things I like to post, jobs and what not. I have no other avenues. I wonder if it may be time to just setup a new forum and abandon the other one for now. If it comes back we can always start moving posts over

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2018, 08:29:55 AM »
Same, bill. I don't have many opportunities throughout the day to just sit down and relax, when I do, I usually try to read something on my phone. The forums are a nice outlet. And all the things I like to post, jobs and what not. I have no other avenues. I wonder if it may be time to just setup a new forum and abandon the other one for now. If it comes back we can always start moving posts over

Someone else will have to set up a replacement because I won't be doing that. I am not ready to give up on things just yet. For me, when Rusty says we are done, we are done, I am simply relying on whatever he says. I do understand thoughts of replacement, but I do not see myself as a part of starting fresh from the ground up again. I have been a part of that several times now and I just do not want to start back over at zero.

Many other members have invested so much more of themselves in time and effort to the site than I have I will feel very bad if it all ends up lost. MG was new enough that not a huge amount of content was lost, and it was just getting off the ground so to speak. GG and T&G were several years old and much more established so it is hard to just give up on either site while there is any hope at all of re-opening those sites.

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2018, 08:49:26 AM »
 Patience is a virtue. I still have some left. I'm with you Herb.

"Billy G"

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #110 on: June 28, 2018, 08:51:05 AM »
Buck, I know Rusty doesn't care for Go Daddy but I think I have enough space there to put GG on my server. Not sure if it would work but the offer is open.

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2018, 09:41:55 AM »
Buck, I know Rusty doesn't care for Go Daddy but I think I have enough space there to put GG on my server. Not sure if it would work but the offer is open.

Papaw, that is a very kind offer for sure! Honestly, I do not know if there is even a site left to accept the offer! Like everyone else, I am waiting to hear updates from Rusty so we will just have to wait and see what he has to share.

I have tied a knot and my big butt is dangling at the end of the rope just waiting to see how I am going to land here!

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2018, 10:52:35 AM »
 Cats always land on their feet.  LOL

"Billy G"

Offline Carpenter84

« Reply #113 on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:29 AM »
It was only a thought. I'd also rather not lose everything like I lost everything on HM.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #114 on: June 28, 2018, 11:11:07 AM »
I sure hope things are salvageable. Would be a damn shame if all that content was lost.

Though I've been fighting with phone line issues for 2 weeks now. Don't realize what you've got until you don't have it.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »
It is not easy to restore a forum when all server data is lost- believe me, I know all too well how it can happen. I keep backups of Tool Talk, but even that can be lost.

I sincerely hope GG ,T&G, and MG are salvaged, and I will help in any way I can.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 02:45:59 PM by Papaw »

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2018, 02:44:58 PM »
 As my Dad used to say, "All you need is Faith. It's a simple concept. Faith is the ability to go forward without guarantees.

"Billy G"

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2018, 03:21:08 PM »
I'm sitting patiently waiting for Rusty to work his magic. No hurry for me but will be glad to see the forums get back up.

Offline Spartan-C

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2018, 03:37:17 PM »
Me too!  Feel like I'm being punish. :sad:
Ken

Offline Spartan-C

« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »
Just notice that Gator joined.  Or is that old news.
Ken