Author Topic: Garage Gazette outage  (Read 51603 times)

Offline p_toad

Re: Garage Gazette outage
« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2018, 07:00:16 PM »
Sorry for overlooking this, Bruce is a regular at GG that we all like to poke fun at. He is a good guy, for a Canadian......LOL.     :grin:

Well, understand.   Papaw talked with him.   hope he feels like stopping back in time to time.   :smiley:

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2018, 07:17:05 PM »
When I spoke to Bruce (brslk) he said he was going to try and find his Tool Talk slippers but he couldn't remember where he put them.

Good deal, Buck !

Remember folks- You can be members of Tool Talk as long as you wish.

Agreed, and you should continue to frequent and support this site even after the GG and MG sites are back up! All of these small sites can benefit from memberships and activity on all of these sites. We should support each others sites.

I also encourage everyone to stick around. There are a lot of really great minds here who know an amazing amount about tools especially older ones.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline jabberwoki

• Puyallup WA
« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »
So Buck, it`s official the old GG is done all info lost?

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »
No. In this thread Buck says rebuild is in the works now.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:29:08 PM by Papaw »
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2018, 07:31:27 PM »
No. In this thread Buck says rebuild is in the works now.

No, he said he’s replacing them. Hope they can find more reliable servers, the ones we had went down frequently.

Offline pep

« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2018, 07:36:50 PM »
What is the server type & model ?

pep

Offline slip knot

« Reply #186 on: July 05, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Well, new plan. All I am going to say is work has begun to replace the old GG, and hopefully the MG as two separate sites. If I cannot swing both sites then the plan will be to run both sites as one. Running both as one site is not the direction that I want to go, I want stand alones, but we will just see where that goes.

That is all I am saying for now, but there is your update, work has begun on replacing the sites, no more waiting.

UB

Anything we can do to help??

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2018, 09:17:46 PM »
So Buck, it`s official the old GG is done all info lost?

For the most part yes, total rebuild from the ground up. Have not started just yet but things will come together fairly quickly now. Don't count on much if anything left over from the old site.

All that said, with a fresh start, we can add delete or change things and hopefully enhance the new site in ways to attract and increase membership.

Feel free to toss thoughts up here guys, thoughts can be integrated as I build the site so share your ideas. It looks promising for two individual sites as it was before, one to replace GG and another to replace MG, so keep your fingers crossed for that too.

The new sites will be more secure to protect us from such a monumental loss as we experienced this time. So we will not have to suffer through another deal like this again.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »
What is the server type & model ?

pep

I don't know the specifics, but I do know it will be totally better.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2018, 09:24:21 PM »
Well, new plan. All I am going to say is work has begun to replace the old GG, and hopefully the MG as two separate sites. If I cannot swing both sites then the plan will be to run both sites as one. Running both as one site is not the direction that I want to go, I want stand alones, but we will just see where that goes.

That is all I am saying for now, but there is your update, work has begun on replacing the sites, no more waiting.

UB

Anything we can do to help??

Yup, there is. Think about the old sites GG and MG. What things about the site, or maybe the layout or subject/topic sections offered did you dislike? What would you like to see different than the old sites, or better? I am not promising the moon here, but I do promise to try and implement ideas and suggestions you make here into the way the site is laid out and built! So, help with your thoughts and ideas and lets see if I cannot put together a site you guys will like!

If we can improve on our old sites even better. The replacements do not need to be cookie cutters for the old sites, they can and probably should be better than what we used to have!

Offline Carpenter84

« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2018, 11:31:30 PM »
Is it so bad to have the site's seperate? MG was new, didn't have a huge amount of content and not a huge number of members. I suppose there's no real reason why we can't all hang out together.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #191 on: July 06, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »
Is it so bad to have the site's seperate? MG was new, didn't have a huge amount of content and not a huge number of members. I suppose there's no real reason why we can't all hang out together.

Honestly, I thought the machine shop guys would want their site dedicated specifically to machine shop like other type sites. I could easily dedicate a good part of the GG site to machinist content and roll the two sites into one. I just want to give members what they want. If the machine shop guys collectively want me to try to marry the sites I have no issue with that and I doubt the GG guys would either. It would not be difficult in my opinion.

Offline Carpenter84

« Reply #192 on: July 06, 2018, 05:47:24 AM »
I dunno. I'm indifferent, I think. Really the only thing that bothered me about MG, was just the lack of content. I found myself wondering back to HM just to have something to read. I would like to hear from the other guys on this.

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2018, 06:40:49 AM »
 Mornin;

My take: if at all possible th two sites should remain separated. They are two different subjects.

With that said I will go with the majority.

"Billy G"

Offline jabberwoki

• Puyallup WA
« Reply #194 on: July 06, 2018, 07:05:52 AM »
The only thing I didnt like was that the search function sucked.
Would not mind a joint sire .