Author Topic: Garage Gazette outage  (Read 51610 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

Re: Garage Gazette outage
« Reply #195 on: July 06, 2018, 07:55:08 AM »
I dunno. I'm indifferent, I think. Really the only thing that bothered me about MG, was just the lack of content. I found myself wondering back to HM just to have something to read. I would like to hear from the other guys on this.

If lack of content was a problem, then you will REALLY hate the new site! Every site has zero content when you open them, that is why it is so bad to open a new site and start over! It does not matter who owns the site, or how it is laid out, all start with zero content. Content only comes with membership and people posting and sharing. The MG was only something like six weeks or so old with roughly 100 people so yes, content was quite limited and would remain that way until membership and use provided the content.

Offline highland512

« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
Keep the atmosphere the same, to me this is the most important.

Maybe add a gun sub forum, bored mechanic had enough info to fill this up on his own. A brand by brand child subs in the general tool discussion, same brand by brand for power tools? Lots of times I think people lurk looking for info on a specific tool brand (maybe their grandfathers wright 3/8 ratchet)
and if all of the wright information was in one spot it would be easier to find than in the search function.

I like how pawpaw has the child boards set up, we could do something like that instead of having a entire front page of stickies.

Defiantly get it where we can use the tapatalk (or something similar). I used the app to read GG 75% of time, plus it was the best way I found to post pictures after the photobucket robbery.

Would diffidently need a huge outreach to try to get everyone back home.

Offline pep

« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
 Wasn't asking specifics, just general. like Chevy/ford, v8, six banger.

I like the idea of having the GG & MG combined, they after all have tools. Logo could be a problem LOL.
With that in mind, we can upload old projects and new comers will think we are a productive bunch.

A final thought TAPE is the safest back up, however that would require someone to change and store them.

BTW will we see a spell checker,  an upgrade I certainly welcome...
Cheers,
pep

What is the server type & model ?

pep

I don't know the specifics, but I do know it will be totally better.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #198 on: July 06, 2018, 09:55:39 AM »
I vote for 2 different forums as I liked it that way. Combining them into one may make it too large and require too much scrolling through subjects. It will be a shame to lose so much content posted by those members who are no longer with us or no longer participate but we can rebuild. I am ready to help in any way possible.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #199 on: July 06, 2018, 09:57:02 AM »
I have never been a big fan of child boards, they make little sense to me and in fact I rarely ever even open one. I find them confusing, but maybe I am just that dumb.

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #200 on: July 06, 2018, 09:59:37 AM »
I vote for 2 different forums as I liked it that way. Combining them into one may make it too large and require too much scrolling through subjects. It will be a shame to lose so much content posted by those members who are no longer with us or no longer participate but we can rebuild. I am ready to help in any way possible.

I agree with everything you said. I prefer separate sites myself. Sadly, I don't think there is any chance the old sites are coming back. That is the only reason I am giving up on them and moving on.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #201 on: July 06, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
I can see the machinist site being stand alone, but I also see it as a valuable section of GG.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #202 on: July 06, 2018, 10:45:47 AM »
 The big problem with the marriage of the two will be new members posting everywhere. It will be tough to follow.

"Billy G"

Offline pep

« Reply #203 on: July 06, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
I like both ideas as a big fan of KISS. Can sort the two links one on top of the other in the bookmark tab..
  I did like where the MG logo was headed BTW....
Pep

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #204 on: July 06, 2018, 02:42:59 PM »
Both ways have logical sense and both have about the same number of pros and cons to my mind. My strongest thought though is if they are separate to make membership the same in both - joining one joins the other.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #205 on: July 06, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
I'm liking Pepi's idea of a joined site with some minimalist  separation. I was always the find unread threads guy and would read everything. I didn't need to drill down into each subject to find the new stuff.

Maybe increase the photo sizes some. I had to resize every picture I posted.

I know the politics ruffled some feathers but I felt it was pretty good to see what other parts of the country think. I would like to see that continue too.

Don't forget the ignore feature.

Offline Der Bugmeister

« Reply #206 on: July 06, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »
Did you give up the "thegaragegazette.com" domain name, or just move it?

I'll be with the new iteration of GG however it looks...it's been a while but we've been through this before.  A shame so much content was lost, a lot of work adding such detailed content like Ray and others.

It's always been more about the people and atmosphere than anything else.

Offline pep

« Reply #207 on: July 07, 2018, 07:03:55 AM »
I agree with slip knot we need a political thread, good stuff and some damn funny cartoons pop up there.

Don't visit many forums, but that one thread separates this group from the rest.  Also shows most are adults and can survive and accept different opinions.

No teddy bears or cry rooms needed.........
If all else fails the ignore feature, is your friend....

Pep

Offline Bill Gruby

« Reply #208 on: July 07, 2018, 09:29:32 PM »
 Looks like MG is back up. I re-registered anyway. Just three members right now, ddicky Rusty and me.

"Billy G"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:32:02 PM by Bill Gruby »

Offline Carpenter84

« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2018, 10:01:49 PM »
And me.