Author Topic: Pulled out of the scrap metal bin  (Read 9761 times)

Offline moparthug

Pulled out of the scrap metal bin
« on: June 18, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »
This big wrench just followed me home from my local scrap metal yard, now that I have it cleaned up and oiled I'd like to know what it was originally used for. I'm guessing a 2-1/2 inch nut is going to be for a tractor or some farm implement. It's 18 inches long and 4-1/2 pounds. The marking on the handle of 39IN didn't turn up anything on a basic Google search, except for a bunch of 39 inch long things like shovel handles and such. No other markings on it. It has a good bend to the handle that looks original, and no signs of it being hit with a hammer or abused.

Rogue River, OR.

Offline jimwrench

• Contributor
Re: Pulled out of the scrap metal bin
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 09:52:10 AM »
 Don't recognize the wrench but thanks for saving it from the scrap. There is a limited supply of old wrenchs as they are no longer being produced.
Jim
Mr. Dollarwrench

Offline Spartan-C

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 09:54:54 AM »
Looks like one of the metric wrenches which are packed in a tool box that are shipped out with many of the Asian built machine tools.  Even some of the European built machine tools come with tool sets.  Definitely been abuse! Don't see it being over 40 years old.
Ken

Offline Spartan-C

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 09:59:09 AM »
2-1/2" is about 63mm.  39 doesn't come even close in mm measurement.  I've seen wrenches marked with numbers that indicated to be used with certain nuts or whatever in a parts lists to a machine assembly, too.
Ken

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 03:37:25 PM »
Looks like one of the metric wrenches which are packed in a tool box that are shipped out with many of the Asian built machine tools.  Even some of the European built machine tools come with tool sets.  Definitely been abuse! Don't see it being over 40 years old.
You really think that wrench was made in 1978 or later?

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 04:29:23 PM »
That wrench looks a lot older than 1978 to me.

Offline Spartan-C

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 04:54:04 PM »
Could be. 

Like I said, I've many of them with that pattern come with new machine tools over the past 40 years.  Just saying.  Forging looks too good for something from years past to me.
Ken

Offline moparthug

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:52:48 PM »
It's tough to go by a few pictures, but this just feels old. The casting marks, the weight, the color, even the way it was rusted up (sadly I have no before pics) just say pre War to me. It sure looks like a first cousin to some other IH and John Deere wrenches I have, just more stout. If someone tells me it's a 1920's railroad tool I wouldn't argue that, it seems overbuilt with this thick I-beam design.
Rogue River, OR.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »

Exactly. Pretty sure if one was to ever find the correct ID for it, it would be well before the 1950's. Drop forge and pressed steel were the norm after that, and in some cases even before that time. Cast wrenches were pretty much a thing of the past, not completely but close to it.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »
BTW, that is one super cool wrench to me. Would love to add one to my collection.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 08:03:41 PM »

Exactly. Pretty sure if one was to ever find the correct ID for it, it would be well before the 1950's. Drop forge and pressed steel were the norm after that, and in some cases even before that time. Cast wrenches were pretty much a thing of the past, not completely but close to it.

I agree.

I think that Spartan may be thinking of SOE wrenches that meet DIN standards.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Spartan-C

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »

I agree.

I didn't think about that. Got a lot to learn here. Better keep my mouth shut next time! :embarrassed:
Ken

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »

I agree.

I didn't think about that. Got a lot to learn here. Better keep my mouth shut next time! :embarrassed:

No, please don't keep your mouth shut. Batting around opinions is how answers are reached! Many times I offer incorrect opinions and think nothing of the fact that my opinion turned out incorrect. Sometimes a guy is right, and sometimes wrong, but everyone's opinion in these discussions is always important!

Offline p_toad

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »

No, please don't keep your mouth shut. Batting around opinions is how answers are reached! Many times I offer incorrect opinions and think nothing of the fact that my opinion turned out incorrect. Sometimes a guy is right, and sometimes wrong, but everyone's opinion in these discussions is always important!

What he said.   You never know when you may have just that one piece of information that sets off a brain cell somewhere else and someone pops up with something new for all of us.   :smiley:

Offline bill300d

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 11:42:17 AM »

I agree.

I couldn't have said it any better UB.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.