Author Topic: old craftsman  (Read 1782 times)

Offline rustcollector

old craftsman
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:12:13 AM »
Is there any value in this style wrench? I'm going through the piles and getting rid of all the extra stuff.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Re: old craftsman
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 10:37:29 AM »
First of all howdy and welcome from British Columbia Canada. I recently (maybe 2 months ago) paid $8 for 3 of that style wrenches and may be interested in more if you have sizes different than what mine are. I'll check what sizes I have and let you know. Thanks Jim.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 11:53:30 AM »
First of all howdy and welcome from British Columbia Canada. I recently (maybe 2 months ago) paid $8 for 3 of that style wrenches and may be interested in more if you have sizes different than what mine are. I'll check what sizes I have and let you know. Thanks Jim.

Thanks gibson. Doubt I will mess around with it much for just $2 or $3 though. I'll toss it in the bins full of stuff I throw on a tarp at Canandaigua for $2 each or 10 for $10. No effort put into that, where as boxing it up, packing it up and dealing with all of it for just $1 more doesn't make financial sense. That tarp thing worked really well last year, got rid of a lot of the garbage wrenches.

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 08:00:01 PM »
A little effort would help a forum member complete his collection.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
A little effort would help a forum member complete his collection.

That was what I was thinking too..........

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 09:30:45 AM »
You folks do realize he is in Canada correct? The shipping alone would cost more than he had to pay for the other ones he bought.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 09:34:23 AM by rustcollector »

Offline Uncle Buck

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »
You folks do realize he is in Canada correct? The shipping alone would cost more than he had to pay for the other ones he bought.

No, I did not realize that. But, you never know what A guy might be willing to pay in shipping to get an item he wants, possibly far more than most other folks would. You know what they say, the heart wants what the heart wants!  :grin:

Besides, discussion never cost a dime right!

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 01:30:21 PM »
underline Craftsman tools are considered collectible here.

but so are hundreds of other styles and brands.

I have learned that most wrenches have less monetary value than you might expect,

but they have  considerable educational value

Skip

A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 02:56:04 PM »
I went and had a look at the Craftsman wrenches that I have and they are little different.Mine say
  Craftsman vanadium on one side and the other side says forged in USA. I have a 19/32 x 11/16, a 5/8
   x3/4 and a 15/16 x 1. If you have any other sizes in that pattern I would be interested.I should have mentioned in my first post that I have a son living in Portland Oregon and some friends in Los Vegas.
      Several times in the past I have had items shipped to their address. My wife and I vist the US several times per year so there would be no need to send them to Canada because, as you say, shipping up here is very exspensive.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »
In addition to my last post, if you do have wrenches in the pattern I'm looking for I am willing to pay more for them that what I paid for the first ones. Like Uncle buck says,the heart wants what it wants.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 04:00:50 PM »
I went and had a look at the Craftsman wrenches that I have and they are little different.Mine say
  Craftsman vanadium on one side and the other side says forged in USA. I have a 19/32 x 11/16, a 5/8
   x3/4 and a 15/16 x 1. If you have any other sizes in that pattern I would be interested.I should have mentioned in my first post that I have a son living in Portland Oregon and some friends in Los Vegas.
      Several times in the past I have had items shipped to their address. My wife and I vist the US several times per year so there would be no need to send them to Canada because, as you say, shipping up here is very exspensive.
This is the back side of the one I have. To be completely honest, 99.99% of the time on mechanics style wrenches, I don't even give them a look at all.  So very few are worth much at all, and they were so mass produced it is no wonder, I just don't have the desire or time to sort through them. They make good fodder for that tarp at the steamshow. The guys that are interested in them can sort through for what they want. This one just happened to catch my eye because of the style of writing. I'd gladly ship anything to anybody, but paying $8 or more to ship a $2 or so wrench doesn't make sense to anybody. As a seller, I'm better off to sell locally for $5 and as a buyer you are better off to hope to get one at a show near you, or buy several items from a single seller and get the cost per wrench down.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:38:09 PM »
Turns out that is not the style I'm after, but if it was the right pattern and a size I would not have a problem paying a good price for it. Good luck with your bin sales. As a side note this area of British Columbia was Natives and trappers up until about 1915 or so. It wasn't until the 1950s when lots of bush mills got going and a few mines started up that we saw substantial growth.Because of this the pickings up up here for old tools are pretty slim. I have a fair size collectionof tools but I would quess about 80% or possibly a little more came from the US or the bigger cities in western Canada.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:05 AM »
According to article on history.com, Sears acquired the CRAFTSMAN trade mark in 1927, ( https://www.history.com/topics/history-of-sears ), so who originated it?  What form did it appear in prior to its usage by Sears? What companies were doing contract production for Sears?  The information in Alloy Artifacts implies Sears registered the trade mark in May, 1927, and describes the details he used to identify contract production based on appearance of tools and "maker codes."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:20:10 AM by mvwcnews »

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2018, 10:34:01 AM »
The 3 wrenches I've been refering to all have the same manufactures code AF, Alloy artifacts tell me this was a mark used by Billings around 1933 and 1934.