Author Topic: Tiny Plane Brand Name ?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline rustyric

Tiny Plane Brand Name ?
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:31:11 PM »
Can anyone put a brand name to this tiny little plane ? The sole measures appx. 3 3/8" x 1 1/4"

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Tiny Plane Brand Name ?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
This is partly a guess, but I say Craftsman. :smiley:

Offline rustyric

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 04:05:43 PM »
Thanks - anyone else ? (I cant see a name under the rust on the blade)

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »
Clean it up, and you might find out.  It looks a lot like the Stanley 101 - http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num101 - but the few examples I've seen didn't have a slotted screw on the lever cap.  Here's Patrick Leach's picture of the Stanley:

As Professor Leach points out in his little essay, a lot of manufacturers made imitations/clones/versions of the Stanley plane; and, if Sears decided to add it to the lineup, they'd have contracted with one of those companies to produce it for them.

I owned one for a while, cost me $0.67 (three items for two dollars at a yard sale).  I found it awkward to use...just too small for my hands.

Offline rustyric

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 12:29:09 PM »
I will clean it up and see what turns up and let you all know, many thanks

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:05:42 PM »
The Stanley box label shows the 101 at 3 1/2".  Don't know about the one in question.
Note that the Stanley's finger dimple is set back from the front by just a bit, but the one in question has its dimple even with the front.
So?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 03:01:22 PM »
So the question is did someone copy Stanley's or did Stanley copy somebody else's?

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
So the question is did someone copy Stanley's or did Stanley copy somebody else's?
There's a third possibility, always.  Stanley was kind of the Microsoft of the 19th/20th century woodworking tool world: always buying up competitors or companies offering a product they'd like to offer.  The design could have entered their product line that way.

I don't know which it is in this case.

Offline bird

• Contributor
  • Resident Rambler
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 01:54:48 AM »
I've seen those (thumb planes ?) by a bunch of makers.... as usual, Stanley had it "first." But, Craftsman, Stanley, Sargent, Stanley Handyman , … after that every high and low class plane maker had them.  I can't tell from the picture, but how "thick" the blade is can tell a little bit about it. Also, if the "thumb" part is completely smooth, more likely a Stanley then the others. That's my two sense... which may not make sense at all.
Silent bidder extraordinaire!
"Aunt birdie, I think you're the best loser ever!!!!!!"