Author Topic: C & E Mfg. Co. "Marshalltown" Alligator combo wrench 8-26-13  (Read 1371 times)

Offline JohnD

Seems once a person tries posting with a pic that is too big the "post" button is locked out? So I have to start all over? Wrench has alligator end and other end seems to maybe accept interchangeable ends? Marked on one side "Pat 8-26-13 C & E Mfg. Co." And opposite side looks like "The Marshalltown" pushing cross hatched thumb button moves hook shaped piece enough to maybe lock / release attachments?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:36:18 PM by JohnD »

Offline JohnD

Re: C & E Mfg. Co. "Marshalltown" Alligator combo wrench 8-26-13
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »
Notlobster, Thanks! That's it. Thought I'd seen something like that somewhere, maybe it was one of MJD tools twice weekly newsletters or catalog. Can't find it in Schulz or Alloy Artifacts. Now, does anybody have any orphan jaw pieces? If not, I have a machine shop challenge for a winter project.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
Neato! Maybe Bob will happen by.  This one if defintely one he would like. 
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
Dad's example with all four interchangeable heads brought good money in 1994.  If you go to the DATAMP entry & flip to the 3rd image you'll find a period ad that lists the four sizes.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:33:11 PM »
That is one ugggggly wrench.  And we can see why it is uncommon to find it with any heads, let alone all four.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:09:34 AM »
Just a few days before this was posted I had listed one, with only one attachment, on ebay. Would have been nice if I could have found all the attachments for it. Neat wrench but not the type I really collect.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273371676801

Offline JohnD

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:47:15 AM »
Thanks everyone! I checked & saved the DATAMP images and closeup of the one wrench head on the ebay listing. I searched eBay for "Marshalltown wrench" before posting and that listing was NOT there, but all the masonry trowels Etc with Marshalltown name were being pushed at me. Now that I have it on watch list it does show up in search.
Those loose wrench heads are bound to be lost without a hole to allow tying them to wrench with a wire, or more collectible-- if they had furnished it in a neat little box or pouch like some other combo tools. Still wanting to buy one or more orphaned wrench heads if someone has some loose ones.

Offline rustcollector

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 02:45:39 PM »
When searching ebay now, with each new search you have to adjust how you want the results displayed. Newly listed, best match etc... Best Match was the absolute worst thing ebay has ever done for the smaller sellers.

I am not sure if that is the same with searching on a phone though. But if somebody is seriously looking to buy off ebay or any internet source, they really need to put away the phone and look at a desktop, laptop etc. Things can be seen better on those devices better than they can be on a small phone screen.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 02:48:12 PM by rustcollector »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 05:02:03 PM »
When searching ebay now, with each new search you have to adjust how you want the results displayed. Newly listed, best match etc... Best Match was the absolute worst thing ebay has ever done for the smaller sellers.

I am not sure if that is the same with searching on a phone though. But if somebody is seriously looking to buy off ebay or any internet source, they really need to put away the phone and look at a desktop, laptop etc. Things can be seen better on those devices better than they can be on a small phone screen.

Amen to that.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.