Author Topic: Craftsman Teardrop Ratchet (1956-1993) Type Study  (Read 18326 times)

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Re: Craftsman Teardrop Ratchet (1956-1993) Type Study
« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2019, 09:44:40 PM »
Jim,

My first guess about the stamped pawls was that they were to differentiate the 32 vs 40 teeth when first made. After they went to a single tooth count they would stop needing the stamp.

But I changed my opinion as I read down. Why only 1 in 5 for 1/2" ratchets?  It makes sense if you consider how many Craftsman ratcgets needed rebuilding.  I wiukd guess that  most of those found were not used by pro mechanics.

Your guess seems the best explanation so far, IMHO.

Chilly

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2019, 01:31:20 PM »
Hey Chilly,

Sorry I missed this post from a month ago!  I promise I wasn’t blowing you off.  I just missed it..... Anyway, I really tried to come up with theories as to why some gears and pawls are stamped with tooth counts and others are not.  I considered a few but kept coming back to “repair kits.”  The trouble with being the sole evaluator is that there’s no “devil’s advocate.”  The repair kit theory seems like the best one to ME.  I could be right or I could be wrong.  It’s never bad to have another idea or theory come from an outside observer or two.  You could be right as well.  Unless we find a known repair kit from that time period, the real answer may always be just speculation.  Thanks for weighing in!

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »
Back on page 9, reply 128, we got into a discussion about tooth counts pertaining to Type 1, 1/2" and 3/8" drive ratchets.  Recall that early versions of the Type 1, 1/2" drive, were outfitted with 40 tooth gears, while later versions of the Type 1, 1/2" drive, came with 32 tooth gears.  The Type 1, 3/8" drive ratchets were initially produced with a 32 tooth gear and then later with a 24 tooth gear.  Also recall back in reply 128 a discussion about tooth counts having been physically stamped on gears and pawls of various Type 1, 1/2" and 3/8" drive examples.  I floated the idea that those gears and pawls stamped with tooth counts could have possibly come from ratchet repair kits.  It's certainly trivial, and some of you might be thinking, "Who cares?" but I'd like to know the answer just the same.

As a result, I'm always on the lookout for Type 1, 1/2" and 3/8" drive ratchets.  I figure the more examples I see and dissect the greater my odds are of making some conclusive determinations.  The trouble is that Type 1 ratchets are somewhat scarce, and when they do show up, they're a little bit expensive.  So, I set a dollar limit and if I can get one for that amount or less, I'll buy it if possible.  As always, storage space is tight and how many Type 1 ratchets do I need?  Not to mention the monetary expense associated with acquiring them.  So, some I just have to pass on.  Anyway, I recently found another Type 1, 1/2" drive with a 40 tooth gear.  You might recall that I only had one back when I posted reply 128 and neither its pawl or gear had a "40" tooth count stamp.  My objective for buying the ratchet depicted below was to take it apart and check its gear and pawl for a "40" stamp.  Well, I got the ratchet, took it apart..... and found nothing.  No tooth count stamp on the pawl or gear.  A little disappointing for sure, but I'll keep looking for more examples.

Jim C.     
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 07:13:43 PM by Jim C. »

Online Downwindtracker2

« Reply #138 on: Today at 10:34:44 AM »
Great study, finding the differences is always interesting. Of course, I didn't find mine. I think it's a type 8. I would have bought it around that time frame. Here is the kicker, it doesn't have any patient dates, or even patient pending. I bought it at Simpson-Sears in Richmond,  B.C. Canada. It has just FORGED IN USA -V- 43785. rather lightly stamped I might add.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #139 on: Today at 12:12:38 PM »
Great study, finding the differences is always interesting. Of course, I didn't find mine. I think it's a type 8. I would have bought it around that time frame. Here is the kicker, it doesn't have any patient dates, or even patient pending. I bought it at Simpson-Sears in Richmond,  B.C. Canada. It has just FORGED IN USA -V- 43785. rather lightly stamped I might add.

Sounds like it could be a Type 9A or Type 10A depending on whether or not your ratchet has an oil port/hole or not.  Type 9A has the oil hole.  The Type 10A does not.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:19:28 PM by Jim C. »

Online Downwindtracker2

« Reply #140 on: Today at 01:09:57 PM »
Thanks Jim. The stamp is what is what I found so odd, very light, the Craftsman face side has no lines , like your #8. It could be a Canadian export model ? I do have a fleamarket find #9A, it has lines and the shorter Craftsman. I also have another fleamarket find, a #12.

I once had fun trying to date a American Stanley #4 hand plane, a 1949 . Because it was a transitional type, some of one, some of another, I was able to get a year fix. Canadian pre-war were much easier, they had the month and year stamped on them.