Author Topic: Craftsman Teardrop Ratchet (1956-1993) Type Study  (Read 15887 times)

Offline lptools

Re: Craftsman Teardrop Ratchet (1956-1993) Type Study
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2018, 04:20:31 PM »
Hello, Jim. Great job on the Type Study!!!! I can see why those are your "go to" ratchets. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
super.   thank you.   that oil hole in the picture is exactly what mine looks like (i never really LOOKED at that before).   Is there a proper way to oil these?

Hi Peter,

Those oil ports are spring loaded ball bearings, just like you said earlier.  I don’t personally think they’re very functional.  The trick is to push the ball bearing down with something, maybe a pick, and while it’s depressed, get a few drops of oil in there.  It’s tedious, and I think these Craftsman Teardrop ratchets function a lot better with a lubricant that’s a little thicker, like Super Lube.  That requires disassembly.  It would be difficult to get any sort of grease, or similar substance, into that hole/port.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:18:56 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 07:17:23 PM »
Hello, Jim. Great job on the Type Study!!!! I can see why those are your "go to" ratchets. Regards, Lou

Thanks Lou.  I think this segment of Craftsman ratchets tends to get s bad rap.  They’re good tools if properly maintained and not routinely used as breaker bars. 

Jim C.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2018, 10:41:45 PM »
"It would be difficult to get any sort of grease"

Hmmm...   might have to look at one of those little grease guns they make for chainsaw bars... 

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »
Hey Peter,

I’m not one to ever talk a guy out of getting a new tool or something for their shop.  That being said, I’ve found that these particular ratchets seem to work best with with a liberal dollop of a grease like substance.  The best way to apply that glob of goop is to probably disassemble the ratchet.  With the exception of the Type 1 and Type 2 ratchets, the rest all come apart and go back together pretty easily. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 06:41:19 PM by Jim C. »

Offline p_toad

« Reply #80 on: September 28, 2018, 05:03:13 PM »
Ah, i know i can take it apart and get to the guts.  (putting things back together; well that's another ballgame).   :grin:

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2018, 06:44:09 AM »

Peter,

If you need a ratchet to practice on, I probably have one that I could send to you. That way there’s no chance of messing up one from your collection or from your work box.  Send me a PM with your address and I’ll get one out to you.

Jim C.

Offline p_toad

« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
Thank you for the kind offer.   I don't think i really need one to practice on  :tongue: so when i get back out there i can play with it some and get it cleaned up before i dunk it in lithium (no fibre axle grease for me   :grin:).

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2018, 05:17:04 AM »
No problem Peter.  I think lithium is a great choice of lubricants.  I’ve also had good luck with some stuff called Super Lube.  Thanks for following the thread.  I have one more Type, 14, to feature.  I’m trying to determine how to present it.  There are several manufacturer mark variations across all three drive sizes, resulting in several ratchets to photograph, and a significant change to the 1/4” drive that I’ll address as well.  We’re almost to the finish line.

Jim C. 

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »
I apologize for being one of those type who can look in a drawer of loose tools and be darned if I can find what I want.
I have been looking through your 6-page tome on C-man teardrops, and I can't find anything about the one I picked up this AM.
It is a 3/8" quick release VR-44811. The "A's" have flat tops.
Likely I just overlooked it or haven't shown enough patience for you to get to it.
Imagine my curiosity, though, as I have a full US dollar invested in this ratchet.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2018, 02:11:31 PM »
Hi Northwoods,

Thanks for following along with the thread.  I know the topic is a little dry, but we’re almost to the end.  I have only one more Type to feature, and it’s a big one.  Just looking at the model number you listed for your ratchet, I can confidently say that it was likely produced after 1993.  This particular Type Study only covers ratchets produced between 1956 and 1993.  Once the directional levers were made from plastic and the head configuration changed, I ended the Type Study.  Unfortunately I can’t tell you much about your ratchet. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 02:19:51 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2018, 02:28:56 PM »
Hi Northwoods,

Thanks for following along with the thread.  I know the topic is a little dry, but we’re almost to the end.  I have only one more Type to feature, and it’s a big one.  Just looking at the model number you listed for your ratchet, I can confidently say that it was likely produced after 1993.  This particular Type Study only covers ratchets produced between 1956 and 1993.  Once the directional levers were made from plastic and the head configuration changed, I ended the Type Study.  Unfortunately I can’t tell you much about your ratchet. 

Jim C.
Thanks just the same, Jim.  I'll put it in with some mismatched sockets, throw in a u-joint and an extension, and someone will want it.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2018, 04:37:24 PM »
Well, we finally made it to the Type 14 Craftsman Teardrop Ratchets.  These are the last ratchets that will be covered by this Type Study.  You may recall that early on, I said I stopped the Study when the ratchet head configurations changed and the directional levers were made out of plastic.  All that occurred somewhere right around 1993.  If you've already looked at the photos, you've noticed that there are four different 1/2" drive ratchets depicted.  The reason for that relates to the fact that between approximately 1985 and 1993, the manufacturer's marks stamped on the handles seemed to be in an almost constant state of change.  From a mechanical and visual perspective, all the ratchets stayed the same, with the exception of the 1/4" drive, which was finally produced without the oil hole (NonOH for nomenclature purposes) and with a new model number, 43186, likely connected to the fact that the oil hole was eliminated on this version.  As I mentioned, it was the manufacturer's marks that kept changing, starting with -VE- and proceeding though -VF-, VF and ending with -VG- in 1993.  I believe that as new production runs were made, the manufacturer's marks changed, possibly to track quality, warrantied tools, etc.  What's interesting is that there were two different versions of the VF mark.  One had single lines (-VF-) and one was stamped without the lines (VF).  I really don't know why this is, but suspect that it could be a similar situation to the Type 9 and Type 10 versions.  If you recall, I surmised that two different manufacturers were producing ratchets at the same time, possibly to keep up with demand.  If you take a close look at the two examples of VF ratchets shown below, it's pretty clear that the stampings on both sides of each handle are different from each other leading me to think they were made by two different manufacturers.  Since both bear VF marks, I'm again guessing that they were made during the same time period.  The final manufacturer's mark associated with the Type 14 is -VG-.  I believe this mark appeared very late in 1992 and into 1993.  The reason for my assumption is that I've seen early, next generation Craftsman Teardrop Ratchets (that fall outside of this Type Study) with plastic directional levers, also stamped with the -VG- mark.  EVERYTHING I just said applies in full to the 1/2" and 3/8" drive Type 14 ratchets, and mostly to the 1/4" drive Type 14 ratchet.  When I feature the 1/4" drive Type 14 ratchets, I'll spell out the differences, again those being the elimination of the oil hole and the model number change.  The only other difference is that while the 1/2" and 3/8" Type 14 ratchets are marked with -VE-, -VF-, VF and -VG-, the 1/4" is also found with those four marks AND the -V-.  Again, when I get to the 1/4" drive, I'll point those features out one more time. 

So, for this post, since there are literally thirteen different ratchets in the Type 14 class, spread across all three drive sizes, I thought it made sense to feature and depict them by drive size.  In my next post I'll feature the 3/8" drive Type 14 ratchets, and end with another post featuring the 1/4” drive Type 14 ratchets.   Here's the Type 14 nomenclature for the 1/2" drive size.

Type 14:  1985 (+/-) - 1993, TD, NonOH, LL, QR, FA, -VE- -VF- VF -VG-, 44985
(represents 1/2" drive size)

Jim C.     
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 11:07:16 AM by Jim C. »

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2018, 04:54:26 PM »
If you read the post immediately above, I laid out the features common to both the 1/2" drive and the 3/8" drive Type 14 ratchets.  Once again, the 3/8" drive Type 14 ratchets also had four different manufacturer's marks; -VE-, -VF-, VF and -VG-, appearing between 1985 and 1993, just like the Type 14, 1/2" drive ratchets.  One thing I failed to mention was the rarity of a couple of these marks.  Based on no scientific data or hard facts, it has simply been my experience that ratchets with the -VE- and -VG- marks are the most difficult to find from the Type 14 examples, across all three drive sizes.  That's just been my observation.  I don't know if it's true or not.  Anyway, here's the Type 14 nomenclature for the 3/8" drive size.

Type 14:  1985 (+/-) - 1993, TD, NonOH, LL, QR, FA, -VE- -VF- VF -VG-, 43784
(represents 3/8" drive size)   

Jim C.

(Hang in there, we're almost to the very end.  All that's left to discuss are the 1/4" drive, Type 14 ratchets.  Stay tuned.)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 07:49:26 AM by Jim C. »

Offline p_toad

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
wow.   just wow.   i'm going to have to save all that off and put the writeup and pictures into a PDF.   thank you