Author Topic: Safe-T-Planer  (Read 1809 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Safe-T-Planer
« on: August 29, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
This item and a different one came out of my 900 pounds.  Called a Safe-T-Planer it is also marked Wagner, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Gilmore Pattern Works.  Used in a drill press to make all kinds of trim etc.  First picture shows the tool, paperwork with it, the sharpening stone and the round box it came in minus the top.  Second picture shows the cutters which can be adjusted for depth.  It is a very nice casting.  Note cutters adjust with a hex key.  I will show the other one later, it has different cutters and made by another company.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Safe-T-Planer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:37:32 PM »
Hello, Coolford. That is a nice find with the container & the paperwork. I believe Craftsman sold a similar tool, as a drill press accessory. Does yours have a tapered shank? Morse? or Jacobs? Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 07:43:07 AM »
Lou---the shank is not tapered, so it is made for a drill press as shown in the paper work.  Here is the other one, it is made by Barron Tool Co., Detroit.  This one has entirely different cutters.-----coolford

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
Hello, Coolford. Thanks for the info. I have one the Craftsman versions here, I will try to hunt it down !!!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:22:25 PM »
My late FIL had one that mounted on his radial arm saw. Dangerous looking contraption. I never saw it in use.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 04:16:45 PM »
My late FIL had one that mounted on his radial arm saw. Dangerous looking contraption. I never saw it in use.
But..but..how could it be dangerous with Saf-T right there in the name?

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 06:48:22 PM »
I agree with slip-knot, I put the Safe-T-Planer in my standup drill press to see how it would work.  It was dam near impossible to do any work without getting your hand too close to the spinning planer.  Also the table is too small and the adjustments with the crank on the drill press is not fine enough.  Will give it one star based on it is an interesting concept. :grin: