Author Topic: Habitat Restore find. Montgomery Wards Powr Kraft wood lathe. No pictures. Sorry  (Read 1806 times)

Offline EVILDR235

Went to the Habitat Restore the other day and picked a Montgomery Wards Powr kraft wood lathe. Model # 15FD2004A  It has cast iron rails. The head stock is missing the spindle and pulley which is not a problem. I can make a new spindle and buy a multi groove pulley if I don't have one already. Tail stock is missing the center that uses a #2 Morse taper. I can buy one of those also. I may  even have the parts on two other lathes I have. I want to make replacement handles for some of my screwdrivers and some handles for some of my files that don'r have any. I want to find a small metal lathe locally so I can make bushings for my old engines and old power tools.

EvilDr235

Offline Yadda

Neat find! Keep us in the loop on your progress.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Bill Houghton

Look anything like one of these?

The "FD" in the model number apparently indicates production by Duro Metal Products, a company that made machines in its own name as well as making machines for others, like department stores.  I've got a Duro wood lathe in the rathole, and it's a substantial machine.

You might wander over to Old Woodworking Machines (http://www.owwm.org/index.php) and post a Want to Buy there.  Register first - I don't think you can get private messages there without registering.

Offline EVILDR235

Mine is the same as the one in the first picture. I use to be signed up with the OWWM website years ago. I still may have a record of my password. I just checked one of my other wood lathes maker unknown and the spindle on it is smaller in dia. I still need to check my Dewalt lathe in the spindle size. My unknown lathe has a very stout steel frame and my Dewalt just has a tubing  frame and is kinda light duty compared to the other two. I am a big fan of Keith Rucker and watch all of his videos on YouTube. Thank you for the pictures. I am trying to get my desk top puter fixed as it had a stroke about a year ago, so I have been using my wife's antique laptop. My granddaughter says it will be easier to teach me how to post pictures with the desktop puter, so I need to get on the ball and get it fixed.

EvilDr235

Offline Bill Houghton

That's one substantial machine, then.  Hope it was a good price.

Offline EVILDR235

The price was $12.99 plus tax. I just bought a Craftsman router model 9 2948 in new condition for $15.99 plus tax. Today they had another one of the same model for $51.99 plus tax. Go figure. I recently picked up a new Snap-On ball joint impact socket for Chrysler products for $2.99 plus tax. They have no idea as to the value of tools.

EvilDr235

Offline p_toad

"They have no idea as to the value of tools"

No kidding.   I was at our Restore today and the guy was going to pitch a whole box of box-end, open-end, and pipe wrenches in the dumpster and i was like...WTF...(in a nice way).   he said, "take 'em home.   you're the only one that cares about them".   I did...just too tired to mess with them today.   At least three ridgid pipe wrenches...maybe one in the 6" range.   I didn't have time to look at all of them - seems like many are un-marked or need a good cleaning.   This isn't the first time.   :cry: