Author Topic: Cleveland Twist Drill Indexes  (Read 2182 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Cleveland Twist Drill Indexes
« on: September 19, 2018, 11:50:38 AM »
Hello, I finally came across the Letter Drill version, it is the one in the foreground, hard to find,first one I have seen. The one at back left is for fractional drills, the one at back right is for number drills. I am looking for info on these: When were they made? Who actually did the castings? What is the material that they are made from? Thanks, Lou
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 12:00:12 PM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline p_toad

Re: Cleveland Twist Drill Indexes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:05:56 PM »
This, from practicalmachinist:  "I think they were zinc die cast with antique bronze plate."

Some others were cast in bronze.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »
Hello, Peter. Thanks for the reply. Both are non-magnetic. By weight the 2 in the back are much heavier , the fractional index weighs 21.5 ounces , and the number set weighs 20.5 ounces. I would have guessed the other way around, seems like more metal was removed for the larger holes?? The one in front weighs the least, at 17.6 ounces, I will go with the zinc die cast for the letter index. With the weight difference, I will go with bronze for the other 2 . Now it's time to get the bits cleaned up!! Seems like a lot more work was put into the 2 in the back, the holes in the bottom were tapped, but the letter index has the holes, but are not tapped.Thanks, Lou

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 04:57:08 PM »
Hello, I am still digging!! Here are a couple pages from a CTD Catalog. The photo of the stand without bits is from one that I have here. Please note the creative description from the catalog. Mine does not have the copper coating, but I may have one from another manufacturer. Regards, Lou

Offline p_toad

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:41:17 PM »
my neighbor has a square one similar to that.   kind of admired it from afar...   :undecided:

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:58:55 PM »
Hello, Peter. if you really want to drool, (and everyone else, too) take a look at this listing!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-AND-VINTAGE-DRILL-BIT-INDEXES-FROM-ESTATE-COLLECTION-LOT-OF-37/183400827272

Offline jdjax

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
I agree with p_toad about it being zinc die cast, but more specific I think the metal is called Zamak which has zinc for a base metal and can be electroplated.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamak

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 10:14:01 AM »
I just watched a video on YouTube by Abom79 and his recent finds of drill indexes. I use to have 3 oval shaped STANDARD brand drill indexes. The first was cast iron, the second one was cast aluminum and the third was plastic. All the same size and shape for number bits. This was about 15 years ago and the need for money sent them to a new owner.

EvilDr235

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »
Hello, jdjax. The Zamak name now rings a bell. Thanks for the info, and I will follow up on it. Regards, Lou

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 02:59:14 PM »
Hello, Mike. Thanks for the info!!!! I never thought to do a Patent Search on any of these. I am in the process of getting the indexes, bits , and metal cases cleaned up. I will post photos soon. Regards, Lou

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »
Here is a photo of the # 59 case that I acquired. Not in the best of shape, no idea what the R L N D on the lid stands for. The paper label on the inside lid is poor. I was able to get a photo of another label, and was able to scan it. I hope that it works. More photos coming soon!!!! Regards, Lou

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 06:38:23 PM »
I have the holder for the fractional sizes, but no case. I didn’t realize they also made the other two. I guess I should have. The case appears to be the hard thing to find. You’re doing good!

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 07:48:12 PM »
Hello, Mike. Thanks for the reply. I have the fractional case, too. I am trying to get everything cleaned up for a photo shoot. I happened upon a seller who had the case that I was missing, plus the letter drill index. He had a few others, too, all clean, most with complete bit sets. I passed on the Union Twist Drill circular wooden index when I ran out of money!!!!! Here is a photo of a Syracuse Twist drill Co. Index that I have had for a while. Regards,Lou

Offline p_toad

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 11:19:12 PM »
wow, and that ebay listing is only 2k...ha ha...   not even if i hit the lottery. :sad: