Author Topic: Snagged a USA-made Craftsman 3/8" corded drill  (Read 3008 times)

Offline bonneyman

Snagged a USA-made Craftsman 3/8" corded drill
« on: July 16, 2018, 06:24:02 PM »
Found a drill I wanted on ebay, and went to visit a friend who has an account and occasionally gets me stuff. He wasn't around, so, I went to a local pawn shop to pick up some AC gauges I saw lat week. The gauges were gone - but I found a USA-made Craftsman corded drill! Variable speed, reversible, USA made. Plugged it in, and it spun with no excess noise or burned smell.

Recognizing Providence when I see it I decided to take it to the counter. Guy said $5. So I got another drill, though not the way I thought I would. Will take it apart and clean/lube it.
Ratchet Guru

Offline cody6268

Re: Snagged a USA-made Craftsman 3/8" corded drill
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 08:50:18 PM »
Good score. Mine's going on 40 years (my grandmother bought Granddad a ton of Craftsman stuff as an anniversary present in the 1970s, and I found it in a box, and he gave it to me)and is still going strong.

And please show me what you do for maintenance when you do take it apart to clean it. I really need to do that to mine.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Snagged a USA-made Craftsman 3/8" corded drill
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 10:22:46 PM »
Good score. Mine's going on 40 years (my grandmother bought Granddad a ton of Craftsman stuff as an anniversary present in the 1970s, and I found it in a box, and he gave it to me)and is still going strong.

And please show me what you do for maintenance when you do take it apart to clean it. I really need to do that to mine.

I separated the shell halves and gently cleaned any dust or debris from around the windings with an old toothbrush. The bushings got cleaned and a couple drops of enhanced lube oil was applied - the gear case up front had all the old grease cleaned out and new Superlube grease put in. My trigger fell apart - probably age - so I glued it back together with some Plastic Welder and we'll see how it goes.
Ratchet Guru