Author Topic: Skinner Seal Saddle Tee Drilling Device  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Northwoods

Skinner Seal Saddle Tee Drilling Device
« on: November 03, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »
Sorry, no picture.

Got one of these (see title) today.  One-way 7 1/2" handle ratcheting device with permanent 5/16" cutter.  M B Skinner Co. South Bend Ind.

Can our plumbing experts tell me what this thing does?  I suspect it attaches itself to a temp. clamp and then drills into a water pipe.  i have only the ratchet, a knurled free-turning grip, a screw-in collar that attaches to the mechanism and is threaded to attach to something else, and the attached bit.
I know nothing about plumbing and can't make much of this drawing:  http://www.skinnerco.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=74_83&product_id=241
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Re: Skinner Seal Saddle Tee Drilling Device
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:35:30 PM »
Saddle tees are generally used where you can't open up the assembly to insert a proper T in the line but still need to tap it to get liquid (say, water) out.  Small ones aren't uncommon when people are adding something like a water line for an icemaker.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:37:32 PM »
Here’s another one they made.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/b6/fd/76/cd8786b98a90d4/US893667.pdf

Mike

Takes a minute to figure how that gadget works.  Looks like a two-man operation?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:50:34 PM »
Here’s another one they made.

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/b6/fd/76/cd8786b98a90d4/US893667.pdf

Mike

Takes a minute to figure how that gadget works.  Looks like a two-man operation?

I’ve had a couple of these and they are a bit of a challenge. It can be done by one man but two would definitely be easier. They used a combination drill bit tap tool so you didn’t have to change between the two. Irrigation pipe isn’t real thick and there isn’t a whole lot of pressure. And even if a sprinkler head leaked, I can’t think it would be a big deal.

It’s pretty hard to visualize how one of these works when it’s just laying on the "for sale" table, so I made up an inverted L shaped bracket out of some pipe nipples, an elbow and a floor flange and screwed the whole works to the top of a sawhorse. Makes it a lot easier to explain how it works. Didn’t do much in the "sales department" though, as I still have it.

Mike

Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
Sorry, no picture.

Got one of these (see title) today.  One-way 7 1/2" handle ratcheting device with permanent 5/16" cutter.  M B Skinner Co. South Bend Ind.

Can our plumbing experts tell me what this thing does?  I suspect it attaches itself to a temp. clamp and then drills into a water pipe.  i have only the ratchet, a knurled free-turning grip, a screw-in collar that attaches to the mechanism and is threaded to attach to something else, and the attached bit.
I know nothing about plumbing and can't make much of this drawing:  http://www.skinnerco.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=74_83&product_id=241

It sounds like you have everything there.  The rest stays on the pipe.

Your device screws into a valve, the valve is connected to a saddle. A saddle is a wide clamp that goes around the pipe. On one side the saddle has a fitting that the valve fits into.  The saddle and valve form a water tight seal on the pipe. With the saddle installed the tapping tool is screwed into the valve opening.

The main line is under pressure,  and when the tap cuts through the pipe wall the pressure is contained in the valve that is still plugged by the tool. The bit is backed out if the way of the valve and the valve is closed.  Now that the new valve is containing the pressure  the tapping tool can be safely removed.  Voila,  you now have a new connection to your main.

Chilly

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 01:01:27 PM »
I love it when things make sense.
Now if only I could find someone to give me a hatfull of money for it....
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline pritch

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
We've always called them hot taps. Google hot tap and there's a bunch of vids of various types.

Offline blackoak

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 11:14:09 PM »
I work at for a water utility company and do this type of work often. Tapping a main to get a new customer water is pretty simple with the tools we have, but we had a new guy that thought he could make the tap, he did fine but didn't stop after making the first hole in the line he kept on drilling and came out the back side of an 8" main. Things got wet in that hole fast.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 06:17:20 AM »
We've always called them hot taps. Google hot tap and there's a bunch of vids of various types.

Thanks for the tip.  Watched a couple of videos and can see how they do it now.  Do you know if the ratchet style tool I have is still in use, or are they all done with an electric drill now?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline pritch

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:23 PM »
I think the ratchet type is still fairly common, especially on gas & water lines-don't want no sparks around the gas, don't want no electricity around the water. 

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 07:16:40 AM »
I think the ratchet type is still fairly common, especially on gas & water lines-don't want no sparks around the gas, don't want no electricity around the water.

I hear that.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline blackoak

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2018, 11:11:30 PM »
We use a cordless 18v Dewalt drill to do all our taps

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2018, 08:47:26 AM »
Sounds like a very good idea.
I once had a friend who used a corded tool in the wrong location.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 06:26:07 PM »
I never worried about electricity around water mains.  We were almost always cinfieent that we were controlling the water.

Once though, while removing a branchline, the guy I was working with froze up real funny. Turns out he was being shocked by at least one of the 220-277? volt lines to the temporary fluorescent lights.  The electrician had ran the temporary wires on top of the sprinkler pipe.

Chilly