Author Topic: A wing-ding of a tool  (Read 2332 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
A wing-ding of a tool
« on: November 14, 2018, 04:15:40 PM »
This tool was included in an auction clean-up table I bought recently.  The router is a Black and Decker mounted to a Vermont American biscuit joiner system model 23477.  Have never seen anything like it before, and wonder why one would go to so much trouble to have a biscuit joiner and have to bolt their router to it?  Anybody know what the cost of the Vermont American item cost in 1999?

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: A wing-ding of a tool
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »
Hello, Coolford. That is a neat setup. Would it work for a groove in a long board? For instance a spline joint, or a T-shaped edge molding? Nice find!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »
I suspect the logic was that it was cheaper, if you had the router already, to buy the biscuit joiner attachment than it would be to buy a biscuit joiner.  Lots of tool accessories make sense only if you assume people are interested in saving money, even at the cost of some inconvenience.

But hey: at a minimum you wound up with one of the better routers ever made.  If I hadn't stumbled into Porter-Cable routers as my standard, I'd probably lean toward the classic B&D routers.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 06:37:17 PM »
Hello, Coolford. I can't tell you what they sold for back then (the V A attachment). Looks like a new old stock Vermont American Biscuit Joiner attachment sold on ebay recently for $29.50 with shipping included. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 07:45:58 AM »
The reason I mentioned 1999 was the instructions for the biscuit joiner part was dated 1999.  I really appreciate all the input, have no idea what I will do with the whole thing. I bought the clean up table at auction to get a couple of vintage electric tools and this item was part of the whole thing---paid $5.00 for everything.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 09:22:44 AM »
Well for $5 I'd say you sure got your moneys worth, the router has to be valued at more than 5 bucks.

Online Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »
Well for $5 I'd say you sure got your moneys worth, the router has to be valued at more than 5 bucks.
Yes, I'd agree: bargain!

Online Yadda

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 07:55:03 PM »
Yes, I'd agree: bargain!

This is verging on a "you suck" award.  :grin:
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....