Author Topic: Use your antiques!  (Read 13157 times)

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
Re: Use your antiques!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
If you have a Hit and Miss engine you had better have tools and know how to use them!!!
"Never laugh at live dragons" Bilbo Baggins "The
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

http://www.plantshepherdplus.com

Offline ray

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:41 PM »
Today just to see if it would work, I put a Philips drive tip in a Stanley brace and drive some  #10 wood screws. Worked better than anything else that I have used.

Ray

Offline rusty

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 08:12:32 PM »

I have put 3 inch screws in that way, the ratcheting braces work surprising well for doing that...
(Works for slotted screws too, something that does not work well for electric drivers ; P)
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline scottg

• Grandstaffworks Tools
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 12:16:33 AM »
With a very large slot screw, a brace is pretty much the only way.
 Pre-drill and drive them right in.
   yours Scott

Offline Nolatoolguy

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 02:52:05 PM »
When it comes to power tools I usually go with the new stuff.

Now like intsance about the eggbeater I wouldnt use mine. It works great and all but I can bring my cordless an do it just as good,just as quik. I have a small 12 volt an a normal 18 volt witch works for most jobs. If I need to Ile break out the 28 volt cordless we have at work(my cousins my boss and doesnt mind if i borrow tools) Rarely exept for boring large wholes an drilling multiple wholes in concrete will I use a corded drill. With the new lithium ion batteries I use those. I have several batteries so I just change em out as i go. by time ime done with one battery theres still 3 more full an one on the charger. I never run low on batteries.

For hand tools I use my older tools the perfect handles, adjustbles, folding rules, etc
And I'm proud to be an American,
where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

Offline Branson

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »
When it comes to power tools I usually go with the new stuff.

Now like intsance about the eggbeater I wouldnt use mine. It works great and all but I can bring my cordless an do it just as good,just as quik. I have a small 12 volt an a normal 18 volt witch works for most jobs. If I need to Ile break out the 28 volt cordless we have at work(my cousins my boss and doesnt mind if i borrow tools) Rarely exept for boring large wholes an drilling multiple wholes in concrete will I use a corded drill. With the new lithium ion batteries I use those. I have several batteries so I just change em out as i go. by time ime done with one battery theres still 3 more full an one on the charger. I never run low on batteries.

For hand tools I use my older tools the perfect handles, adjustbles, folding rules, etc

I love my cordless drills, and pretty much use them daily.  But I have to say that hand drills and braces do some things better.  Especially if you're restoring woodwork, you often have to really feel what's happening at the end of the drill.  Can't do that with any electric drill in my experience.  I have hundred year old center bits -- they do things no twist drill will do, so I use them. 

When I was building sets, I was using my cordless 8 to 13 hours a day.  Spare batteries are the only way to go.  I always kept three on hand, because it was possible to use the battery up in less than an hour.  I still carry at least one loaded spare battery, and make sure it's full of juice the night before.

Just about all my old tools are my favorites.  Each one does some job better than any other.

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
My problem with cordless is that they keep changing the batteries and when I need a new battery, you know they get to where they won't hold a charge, the battery I need is no longer available and I have to get a new drill.
Hobbit"

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Edison

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 06:28:49 PM »
I used an old Williams female drive ratchet and an old Duro extension/breaker (Both purchased on this forum) today to remove the flywheel on this....

http://www.youtube.com/embed/WnWCl_MYT1k

so I could install some new ignition parts. I also used an old BBB (Binghams Best Brand) flat tip screwdriver for all the screws.

Vintage tools rock!!
-Aaron C.

My vintage tool Want list:
Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.
-Vlchek WB* series double box wrenches.
-Hinsdale double-box end round shank wrenches.

Offline Stoney

• Contributor
  • New Market, Alabama
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
Super cool Keykeeper.  What are you going to use the Ecno for when you get it restored?

I have a B,&S. washing machine engine that I going to put on a vineyard sprayer that I'm restoring.
Hobbit"

-Thomas Edison

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
Super cool Keykeeper.  What are you going to use the Ecno for when you get it restored?

Haven't decided yet, Stoney. I'm either going to use it to drive a grinding arbor mounted above the engine on a tool stand, or a forge blower (for demos). I figure this little engine putt-putting might draw in people!!
-Aaron C.

Wards Master Quality 1/2" drive sockets (Need size 5/8), long extension, & speeder handle.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »
Outstanding. That is something I have been wanting to do.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline rusty

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »
> I figure this little engine putt-putting might draw in people!!

I went to a show once where a fellow was running one the size of a small car. Every time it popped off people ducked for cover. The fellow told me he had it running as slow as he could make it go, because flat out you couldn't talk to anyone if you were satanding within 1000 ft of the thing ;P
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline Branson

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 06:16:59 AM »
My problem with cordless is that they keep changing the batteries and when I need a new battery, you know they get to where they won't hold a charge, the battery I need is no longer available and I have to get a new drill.

Makes me nuts!  A good tool made useless because the manufacturer changed the shape/size of the battery -- fah!  But Pawpa came to the rescue!
Batteries Plus probably has what you need:

http://www.batteriesplus.com/

Offline Branson

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 06:22:57 AM »
I'm either going to use it to drive a grinding arbor mounted above the engine on a tool stand, or a forge blower (for demos). I figure this little engine putt-putting might draw in people!!

Might draw people, but I just follow my nose to blacksmith demos -- that and/or the ring of work on the anvil seems  to be a big drawer.

But, dang!  That thing is cool!

Offline keykeeper

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 08:58:40 AM »
Might draw people, but I just follow my nose to blacksmith demos -- that and/or the ring of work on the anvil seems  to be a big drawer.

But, dang!  That thing is cool!

I have a small anvil that really rings that will bring in spectators, but man is it hard on the ears after a while!

The coal smoke will bring 'em in also. I'll probably just do the grinding stand idea, just to have another tool setup at my disposal. May put a brass and steel brush on it: one for scale removal, one for coloring pieces brass!
-Aaron C.