Author Topic: Sears/Craftsman Whitworth Tool Set  (Read 32632 times)

Online amecks

Re: Sears/Craftsman Whitworth Tool Set
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 08:41:53 PM »
At least as good as owning a true survivor is owning one that's been in the family.  We'll keep our fingers crossed!

I did not have British wrenches until ten years after I bought my first Triumph 650 in 1974.  I managed to somehow afford to buy a complete set of Snap-On British Standard combos and complete sets of 1/4 and 3/8 drive BS sockets.  I have all but the largest sizes in T Williams Superslim wrenches and my latest purchase is a complete set of T Williams chrome plated Superslim ring spanners (Double Box Ends).  I like using the Superslims - they have a good feel and are long enough to give good leverage.
Since coming to own the '67 Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 in 2010 I have got more use out of the British tools than ever.  ALL the bolts on the Enfield are British Standard and require BS wrenches.
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 10:36:06 PM »
I don't have any 1/4" sockets, mine are 3/8" up to what they call a 9/16" size, then they are 1/2" drive for the larger ones. Most of my tools are packed away. I know I have them and where they are, but I have not even seen them in almost 20 years. Like all my Diesel tools, haven't used them in 30+ years and not seen them in 20. But if needed, I know where they are and what box they are in.
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online Jim C.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 03:35:04 PM »
At least as good as owning a true survivor is owning one that's been in the family.  We'll keep our fingers crossed!

I did not have British wrenches until ten years after I bought my first Triumph 650 in 1974.  I managed to somehow afford to buy a complete set of Snap-On British Standard combos and complete sets of 1/4 and 3/8 drive BS sockets.  I have all but the largest sizes in T Williams Superslim wrenches and my latest purchase is a complete set of T Williams chrome plated Superslim ring spanners (Double Box Ends).  I like using the Superslims - they have a good feel and are long enough to give good leverage.
Since coming to own the '67 Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 in 2010 I have got more use out of the British tools than ever.  ALL the bolts on the Enfield are British Standard and require BS wrenches.
Al

Hey Al,

I hope I end up getting the MG!  I’ll let you know if it happens. Those Snap On tools must have set you back a few bucks, but I’ll bet they’re a pleasure to use.  I’m all for buying and using high end tools if you can do it.  I have only a few Snap On tools and gotta say, the quality is evident.  If you’d like to post a few pictures of your Whitworth tools, I’d like to see them.  I’m pretty sure some of the others reading along would like to see them too.  If you get some time, let’s see what you have!

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Online Jim C.

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
I don't have any 1/4" sockets, mine are 3/8" up to what they call a 9/16" size, then they are 1/2" drive for the larger ones. Most of my tools are packed away. I know I have them and where they are, but I have not even seen them in almost 20 years. Like all my Diesel tools, haven't used them in 30+ years and not seen them in 20. But if needed, I know where they are and what box they are in.

Hey papadan,

After twenty years, maybe it’s time to pull out that box of Whitworth tools and take a look at them.......and show us too!!! :smiley:

Offline papadan

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2018, 08:05:26 PM »
I worked 40 years as a mechanic. I always preffered Craftsman wrenches over Snap-On. For daily use the S-O have a much thinner side edge and with a lot of use they start to hurt.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2018, 01:56:43 PM »
I worked 40 years as a mechanic. I always preffered Craftsman wrenches over Snap-On. For daily use the S-O have a much thinner side edge and with a lot of use they start to hurt.

Hey Dan,

That’s certainly the voice of experience talking!  40 years!  I’m mostly a Craftsman fan myself.  Practically everyone I knew had Craftsman tools. When I say “everyone” I’m referring to my dad, uncles, friends dads, neighbors...... none of whom were pro techs.  They all had Craftsman tools probably because they were easy to obtain, easy to warranty if necessary, and relatively affordable in comparison to some of the truck brands.  So, that’s what I grew up seeing and using.  My dad was also a Sears employee for many years, so the additional 10% employee discount didn’t hurt either.  Over the years I tinkered with my share of old cars, several old woodworking machines, and engaged in more DIYer projects than I can recall, mostly using Craftsman tools.  I really can’t complain about them.  Still, I know a lot of guys are die hard Snap On users.  Snap On offers some really nice, high quality stuff.  No doubt about it.  I will say that you’re probably one of the few pros that I’m aware of who picked Craftsman over Snap On in terms of comparing their comfort and user friendliness.

Jim C.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:20:54 PM by Jim C. »

Offline papadan

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2018, 09:52:21 PM »
Most of my basic hand tools have always been Craftsman for just the reasons you listed. Snap-On are great tools, but over priced, I bought S O specialty tools that Craftsman never offered. Or at least didn't offer that I knew of, like the Whitworths.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 08:23:38 PM »
Hey papadan,

It’s no surprise that you didn’t know about Sears/Craftsman Whitworth tools way back when.  As far as I can tell, they were only offered from about 1960 to 1962, and the offerings were limited.  There were four DOE wrenches, four DBE wrenches (the same sizes as the DOE wrenches) and ten standard depth, 12 point, sockets.  The tools were sold as a complete set as depicted above, and as smaller sets, or individually.  One could buy the set of four DOE wrenches in a green plastic roll, the set of four DBE wrenches also in a green plastic roll, or the ten sockets with a 15” breaker bar including the T handle in a green metal case.  The sockets, breaker bar and T handle were fitted into a red plastic insert.  Finally, all eighteen Whitworth tools were sold individually. 

Studying the old Sears/Craftsman catalogs, it appears that during the same time period, Sears also offered a Craftsman branded Whitworth tap and die set.  I don’t think any of the Whitworth taps or dies were sold separately.  To get them, I think one would have to buy the entire set.  The set came in a green plastic case, and the tools were fitted in red plastic inserts.  It’s a super tough set to find in any condition.  I’ve only seen it once.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:15:01 AM by Jim C. »

Online Jim C.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »
I mentioned that Sears offered smaller, tool specific Craftsman branded Whitworth sets, versus the entire set shown above, so I think I should at least show you an example or two.  Depicted below is the four piece DOE wrench set in its original green plastic tool roll.  (Just to be sure, the wrenches depicted below are not the same wrenches shown in the complete set above.)  Since I started collecting Craftsman Whitworth tools, I've come across a few DOE wrench sets in their green plastic tool rolls.  As you may expect, after about 55 years or so, the plastic has become somewhat stiff and brittle.  It can crack if you're not careful.  I found that running the entire roll, wrenches and all, under warm water makes the plastic pliable enough to handle and consequently easier to remove the wrenches without damaging the plastic.  It'll stay pliable for about an hour and then start to stiffen up again..... just long enough to take a few pictures. 

Jim C.     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 01:43:32 PM by Jim C. »

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »
I used to work on British cars back in the dark ages (‘70s) and kind of wish I still had a 4 cyl big Healey like I had in high school. I have found a total of four Craftsman Whitworth socket in my travels although I doubt that I’ll ever use them.
-Don
CONTRIBUTOR

Online Jim C.

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
Hey Don,

Your old Craftsman Whitworth sockets look like they’re in pretty good shape. While I was collecting my set, I ended up with a few extra, duplicate sockets, all 1/2 W size or smaller, like yours.  It was my experience that the larger Whitworth sizes were a lot harder to find individually.  If I was going to collect the set again, I might wait to find all ten sockets at once.  I looked for the 3/4 W for a couple years.  In SAE measurements, the 3/4 W is about the equivalent of 1 5/16”.  It’s big, and like the 1 5/16” socket, probably not as commonly used on automobiles and motorcycles as are the smaller sizes.  Maybe that’s why the larger sizes just don’t seem to be as available as the smaller sizes. 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 09:03:21 PM by Jim C. »

Offline papadan

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2018, 12:28:40 AM »
Nice tools Jim, I use a hair dryer to warm up the plastic rolls and keep them from cracking. Don't have to worry about getting everything dried off.

Online Jim C.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2018, 03:53:01 PM »
I mentioned earlier that Sears also offered a Craftsman branded Whitworth tap and die set.  Well, here it is in its green plastic case with red plastic tool inserts.  Of all the Craftsman Whitworth tools offered by Sears, I'd say this set is by far the least common.  I've only seen the set one time (and bought it), and I've never seen any of the Whitworth taps or dies for sale individually.  I don't think Sears ever offered individual Whitworth taps and dies for sale separate from the set.  If one were to come across this set somewhere, and it was missing a tap and/or die, I think it would be next to impossible to find an original replacement.  Still, one never knows what will be found in the right setting, like at a British automobile or motorcycle swap meet, or simply getting lucky on eBay.

Jim C. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:54:58 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Yadda

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2018, 08:10:18 PM »
A nice set to see during the holiday season.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Online Jim C.

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2018, 07:21:59 AM »
Green and Red.......I get it!!!!   :smiley: