Author Topic: Sears/Craftsman Whitworth Tool Set  (Read 32999 times)

Online d42jeep

Re: Sears/Craftsman Whitworth Tool Set
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »
It looks like it was supplied by Ace Hansen. It reminded me of my slightly newer Ace Hansen Tap and Die set. I found this image on a google search.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2018, 06:54:11 PM »
Hey Don,

As you know, Sears sourced its Craftsman branded tools from various manufacturers.  When it comes to taps and dies, Hansen seems like a logical supplier.  I do see some similarities between your Hansen set and my Craftsman set. 

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2018, 07:01:28 PM »
Wow!!!!!  I just noticed that I have been bestowed a title!  When did that happen?  Thank you for the honor!  I don’t feel worthy of that.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:03:19 PM by Jim C. »

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2018, 09:46:07 PM »
Wow!!!!!  I just noticed that I have been bestowed a title!  When did that happen?  Thank you for the honor!  I don’t feel worthy of that.

Jim C.
I did that a week or two ago, and you deserve it !
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
Wow Papaw!!!!  Thanks a ton for your support and for providing a great venue to talk about old tools!  And, thanks for the unexpected honor!

Jim C. (who is truly appreciative) 

Offline Yadda

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 11:06:28 PM »

Jim C.

Kudos Jim!   I agree, well deserved!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline amecks

« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2018, 06:05:34 AM »
Congrats, Jim!  I am trying to get some photos of my T Williams British tools.  It gets dark early and the lighting in the garage is not the best so the first set of pics are no good.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 09:50:02 AM »

Jim C.

Kudos Jim!   I agree, well deserved!

Thanks Yadda.  Much appreciated!

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 09:52:15 AM »
Congrats, Jim!  I am trying to get some photos of my T Williams British tools.  It gets dark early and the lighting in the garage is not the best so the first set of pics are no good.

Hey Al,

Thanks!  Also, whenever you get some good photos of your British tool collection, we’d love to see them!

Jim C.

Offline amecks

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 07:22:15 PM »
Here are pictures of my T Williams wrenches.  Everybody knows what Snap-On wrenches look like so I won't post them.  I purchased the Snap-On wrenches and sockets about 1985 or so (before I was married!).  They are in BS - British Standard - markings.  I am pretty sure it is a complete set of what was available at that time.  There are (7) wrenches,  3/16BS thru 7/16BS. There are (12) 3/8 dr sockets in a Snap On tray,  and there are (5) 1/4 dr sockets and these have the newer angular Snap On script.  The wrench Don (d42jeep) sent me is an earlier Snap-On and marked in Whitworth size.  It's a 7/16W which would be equivalent to 3/8BS.

If you're not familiar with British wrench (or spanner) sizes The British Standard and Whitworth sizes relate to the screw diameter, not the measure "across the flats" on the hex head.  But the wrench sizes used are the same, therefore a wrench end is often marked 9/16W-5/8BS indicating usefulness on both 9/16W bolts and 5/8BS bolts.  BA is another thread pattern usually for smaller screws used in electronic parts.

These are my T Williams Superslim wrenches.  I like them alot.  They aren't chrome plated but they are made of good steel, they're light, the wrench heads are compact not bulky, the length is adequate and they just feel right in use. The sizes range from 1/8W3/16BS to 9/16W5/8BS with the largest being just under 3/4" across.  The intermediate sixes repeat on the next wrench so a set will have two of most sizes which can be handy.  There may be larger or smaller Superslims but these are all I have found.  I have a few duplicates.

These are a set of "ring spanners" or box ends as we call them.  This set was purchased this year, then I sold off a couple odd ring spanners to help pay for these.  These are beautifully chromed with some wear.  They range from1/8W to 1/2W.  These are marked only in Whitworth sizes but as I said they will fit BS screws also.
Thanks for looking.
Al

Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2018, 07:58:46 PM »
Nice sets Al and thanks for the write up too.  It was certainly informative.  As I’m reading your words, I’m understanding that your DOE set is one that you’re putting together one wrench at a time.  I think that’s great! Do you have a list of the wrenches that comprise the set?  When were the Superslim wrenches manufactured?  They’re nice looking wrenches......  I’m interested.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:01:48 PM by Jim C. »

Online d42jeep

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2018, 04:07:36 AM »
I hope you don’t mind, but when I was taking pictures of my Craftsman Whitworth sockets I took some of my other Whitworth tools. The Proto sockets and the combo set were from a local garage sale.
-Don
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 04:09:49 AM by d42jeep »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2018, 05:19:44 AM »
Jim,  I can't provide much info about these wrenches.  My list of T Williams Superslims only comes from searching eBay and waiting for the missing wrenches to show up at an affordable price.  I can only guess that these were sometimes supplied with auto kits and that they date from the 50's-60's.

From Grace's Guide - Williams, T. (Drop Forgings & Tools), Ltd. Stand A,618 Tilton Road Works, Tilton Road, Birmingham, 9. Teleph.: Victoria 3451/2/3. Tel. Add.: Victoria 3451/2/3.-Engineers' and Motorists' Tools. Superslim Ring, Open Jaw, Adjustable Wrenches, Pliers, Pincers, Screwdrivers, Tool Kits. Precision Ferrous Drop Forgings either Rough or Finished, Machined for the Motor and Engineering Industries.

I'll try asking on Britbike.com forum and see if any of the guys can tell me more.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »
I hope you don’t mind, but when I was taking pictures of my Craftsman Whitworth sockets I took some of my other Whitworth tools. The Proto sockets and the combo set were from a local garage sale.
-Don

No problem Don!  I’m glad you chipped in.  Everyone likes photos, so thanks.  If the thread morphs into a Whitworth tool thread that represents different brands and manufacturers, then so be it.  Good stuff!

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2018, 08:39:07 AM »
Jim,  I can't provide much info about these wrenches.  My list of T Williams Superslims only comes from searching eBay and waiting for the missing wrenches to show up at an affordable price.  I can only guess that these were sometimes supplied with auto kits and that they date from the 50's-60's.

From Grace's Guide - Williams, T. (Drop Forgings & Tools), Ltd. Stand A,618 Tilton Road Works, Tilton Road, Birmingham, 9. Teleph.: Victoria 3451/2/3. Tel. Add.: Victoria 3451/2/3.-Engineers' and Motorists' Tools. Superslim Ring, Open Jaw, Adjustable Wrenches, Pliers, Pincers, Screwdrivers, Tool Kits. Precision Ferrous Drop Forgings either Rough or Finished, Machined for the Motor and Engineering Industries.

I'll try asking on Britbike.com forum and see if any of the guys can tell me more.

Thanks Al.  After reading your post, I searched for the wrenches and kept ending up on eBay, which can be a great resource for finding information and photos.  Most of the listings for the Superslim wrenches seem to be from England.  So I was wondering if that was how you were collecting them.  I’ve purchased a few wrenches from across the pond, and have found the shipping costs to be steep.  But I’m right there with you.  If I was collecting a set and the source of the tools was overseas, I’d be spending the money to have them shipped.  What choice do you have?  It’s pretty cool that you’re collecting vintage tools to work on vintage British motorcycles.  I like that!  Keep collecting and let us see what you find.

Jim C.