Author Topic: Whatzit  (Read 1343 times)

Offline digdug67

Whatzit
« on: November 30, 2018, 02:23:13 PM »
Alright folks, any idea on this whatzit? Thanks!

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Whatzit
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »
Screw jack, mostly called "house jack" around here because that's the most common traditional use for them.  The hole below the swivel pad is for a bar to go through, for turning it.  When a crew was jacking up a house for foundation repair, moving, or other purposes, some poor soul (or several souls), probably the youngest member(s) of the crew, had the pleasure of crawling under the house and using multiples of these to slowly raise up the house.  Properly, you set cribbing well supported under a framing member, jacked up until you could fit another piece of cribbing in, lowered the jack, blocked it up so you could raise the house enough for another piece of cribbing; repeat until (a) you're done or (b) the lunch or end-of-day whistle blows, whichever comes first.  My son owns four that I found at a contractor's retirement sale, and uses them regularly when he's doing foundation repair.  One of their benefits is that, if you stay within the weight limits, they are not prone to catastrophic failure or bleed-down, issues at times with a hydraulic jack.  If the cribbing is done right and placed properly - that is, under the correct framing members - it's not nearly as dangerous as it sounds.  The weight limit is generally cast into the base.

I've got a small one that I've used for similar purposes more than once.  If you do any heavy work around the house, don't get rid of it.

Wandering...machinists use the identical concept, but in a jack about an inch and a half high, for certain setups on milling machines and other such machinery.  I've got one of those from my uncle; can't now recall if I've ever used it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 03:03:49 PM by Bill Houghton »

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 03:11:10 PM »
Looks like that one might be broken at the top of the base. If it is use for decoration only. I have a group of small ones in my collection. Joyce Cridland Company. These are 3 of about 6 different styles made by Cridland that I have. These are only 3 - 4 inches tall in the down position. Salesman samples or machinist jacks.

Offline digdug67

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »
Thanks y'all what a big help :)
It's at an auction that I am going to this weekend so I'll see if I can nab it!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 08:23:04 PM »
I use the bigger ones to hold up tractors while tearing into them. they wont bleed off.

I never had much luck using the screw part of it to lift anything but they work good as jack stands.

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 08:43:36 PM »
+1 on the jack stands.
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »
I never had much luck using the screw part of it to lift anything...
It's critical - as you no doubt know - to lubricate both the screw and the swivel pad.  I've done some lifting with my little one, and my son, as I mentioned, has used them for under-the-house work.

And, to the original poster (do we refer to you as "Dig?"), if it is broken, don't plan to pay much for it.  The four I purchased were $12 each, maybe a slight bargain but not by much.

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 06:00:30 AM »
its not broke is it,looks like a piece of wire near the top...thought they were pretty much unbreakable?

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 04:20:03 PM »
I have one that is missing the top cap -- it was one dad picked up years ago at a farm sale -- so they are not indestructible.
In 1992 I had the floor of part of my house supported on one row of these, with the outside load bearing wall supported on another row, while replacing structure (formerly a mortised 6&6 sill destroyed by termites, so the floor joists did not extend under the wall).  As others have noted, these stay put & I had the two house parts setting that way for a few weeks while rebuilding / remodelling that portion of the house.  We lived in it the whole time, so having something fall down was not an option!!!  These screw jacks were also used by threshermen to level threshing machines, etc.  By the way, the old house movers stored these "bell side up" with oil inside which kept the threads & base of the cap lubed & ready to go.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 04:26:52 PM »
Hello, Dig. I hope that you were able to buy the jack!! What is on the other side of that wire? Sometimes the turning bar is tied off to the jack so that it doesn't grow legs. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society