Author Topic: Robinson wrenches  (Read 1505 times)

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Robinson wrenches
« on: January 01, 2019, 07:32:02 PM »
I believe we've talked about these before but there seem to be a lack of information on them. I tried alloy Artifacts but they don't say much about them. This guy is a 6" and the movable jaw has a fairly good bend to it, somebody, in days gone buy must have used a a substantial cheater bar to bend it as bad as it is (that's as far as it will open now)

Does anybody out there know any thing about Robinson tools, where they were made, patent date, etc.
 Thanks in advance. Jim.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Robinson wrenches
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 09:34:23 PM »
I have had one or two of them, but also found little info, except for a mention in Cope's book. He says Robinson Co.  was making wrenches beginning in 1903, including adjustable "S" wrenches.
Also in Schulz- #307.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:03:41 AM »
That's two places I haven't looked. Thanks.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
A 1930 hardware wholesaler's catalog listed 6" 8" & 10" ROBINSON wrenches. (pg. 16, March 2004 MVWC Newsletter).    Robinson also was  sales representative for  the CARLL wrenches.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 09:28:44 AM »
Here are the three wrenches that Stan listed.  I also have Robinson monkey wrenches in sizes 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 18.  Here are the three smallest sizes.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
Nice sets you have Coolford.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 06:50:05 AM »
Here are the three wrenches that Stan listed.  I also have Robinson monkey wrenches in sizes 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 and 18.  Here are the three smallest sizes.
Robinson adjustable "S" not related to Robinson "monkey wrenches" made by Peck, Stow & Wilcox (http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?number=320172&typeCode=0 ) & neither related to the infamous character played by Anne Bancroft in that long ago movie ;-)  Will hunt up some Robinson adjustable "S" piece to post in the FLICKR account (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mvwcnews/ ).  The ROBINSON adjustable "S" piece on pg. 4 of the Sept. 1983 MVWC Newsletter was from a hardware wholesale catalog dad owned & which sold on his collection auction back in the mid-1990s.