Author Topic: Old socket sets from before WW-2  (Read 21587 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Old socket sets from before WW-2
« on: January 08, 2019, 05:24:50 PM »
The first one is a Walden No. 21 Lubrication set from the 1920's and the second one is a No. 25 more or less standard set from the same time period.

Offline p_toad

Re: Old socket sets from before WW-2
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:47:28 PM »
nice.   that no 21 set looks almost new in the box. 

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:41:10 AM »
GREAT sets coolford!  I agree, that #21 set looks almost like NOS.  What drive size is it, 1/2”?  I really like the ball end on that speed wrench in the second photo. 

Jim C. (Who freely admits that he covets that #21 set!)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:56:39 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 07:51:54 AM »
These sets are both 1/2 inch drive.

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:12:20 PM »
GREAT sets coolford!  I agree, that #21 set looks almost like NOS.  What drive size is it, 1/2”?  I really like the ball end on that speed wrench in the second photo. 

I'll just say +1 on covets!
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:33:20 PM »
AA mentions the No. 25 set as not having a ratchet.  Can you give us a picture of the one included in your set?

Walden-Worcester No. 25 Socket Set
The Walden No. 25 socket set was an alternative collection with heavy-duty drive handles, but without a ratchet. The set consisted of a No. 1125 Ell-handle, a No. 1143 Tee-handle extension, a No. 1163 brace, and 12 2xx-series hex sockets with sizes 7/16 to 1-1/4.
The hex socket models and sizes were 214 (7/16), 216 (1/2), 218 (9/16), 220 (5/8), 222 (11/16), 224 (3/4), 228 (7/8), 230 (15/16), 232 (1), 234 (1-1/16), 236 (1-1/8), and 240 (1-1/4).
Our first reference for this set is the 1925 Dunham catalog, at which time the sets were supplied in metal boxes. However, our set is in a wooden box, suggesting that this model was available earlier.
The No. 25 set was supplied in a sturdy wooden box with wrap-over hinges. Our set is currently being prepared for display.
Fig. 67A. Walden No. 25 1/2-Drive Socket Set To Be Added.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 07:30:33 AM »

I'll just say +1 on covets!

Amen papadan,

I’ve been on a 4 point socket kick lately and that set fits the bill entirely.  It’s loaded with 4 point female AND male sockets.  It’s a great set that looks to be complete.  I’ve added it to my list of tools to be on the look out for.  Kudos to coolford for finding that one!

Jim C.

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
I can't work on anything anymore. I could have used that lube set almost every day for 40 years and never knew it existed.
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.

Online skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 03:35:05 PM »
As I am trending toward older farm equipment to fix and sell, four and eight point sockets have become quite important.

and they either fit or not, no "sorta"

Skip

A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »
Northwoods---forgot to take a picture, but the ratchet is  an OR916 push through.  It is probably correct for the same time period.  But, I happen to have three No. 25 sets and the same ratchet is in each one of them.  May well be that those that had the sets added the same ratchet.  Then again, Alloy artifacts may be wrong or its possible Walden may have changed the set content.  Will we ever know for sure?

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 03:36:28 PM »
Here is the next one, a Walden No. 12.  This is from their pressed steel period and the largest pressed steel socket set they made.  To the best of my knowledge it is complete and better than the one Alloy Artifacts shows as it has a top as well as the listing of how you can make different combinations of the contents.

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 04:37:04 PM »
I have a fair amount of Walden stuff but nothing as nice as that one, I'm drooling all over my computer.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 07:26:04 AM »
GREAT STUFF coolford! There’s nothing better than a complete set of tools in its original packaging/box.  When the tools are in mint condition, that’s even better.  Those examples take us back decades and provide a clear and unquestionable picture of what the manufacturers were producing back in the day.  Great set!

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
I am at a complete loss on this Walden box that came without any contents.  Being a Walden No. 3 socket set box one would figure it probably contained pressed steel sockets and an allen type wrench driver.  Have not been able to find anything on the No. 3.  What it does contain is a set of oblong drive sockets and a homemade driver that I'm storing in the box until I can figure out what really belongs.  There again I have almost no information on the series of oblong sockets and drivers although I have others.  Has been mentioned the oblong shape would be cheaper to make than a square??  I hope someone might help me on both puzzles.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 06:35:54 PM »
Hello, Coolford. Great items from your collection. Thanks for sharing!!!!! Regards, Lou