Author Topic: Old socket sets from before WW-2  (Read 21595 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Old socket sets from before WW-2
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2019, 11:46:48 AM »
Hello, Coolford. Another great socket set  in a wood box!!! Thanks for sharing, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2019, 03:22:56 PM »
This is another L. S. Starrett socket set No. 443-B which does not include the drill attachment or the parts that go with it.  Really the only thing missing from this set is the extension.  You will notice the large open space above the end of the handle, and if you will go back to the other set you will see the round item  that is the drill attachment.  Well, what is or what does a drill attachment do?  Starrett as far as I know was the only company to put a drill attachment in a socket set.  Well, of course it allows you to drill.  In the second picture you will see the Starrett drill attachment set up. Starting from the left, the backer plate, then the holder to keep the main body of the drill attachment from turning, and then the ratchet from the socket set.  The drill bit was not part of the set.  As you ratchet the drill into the work the threads inside the drill attachment turn in the opposite direction pushing the drill into the work.  Of course you have to back it up with something and the little plate goes up against it.  The drill bits are not the type used in braces, as the tang on those is too small.  The tang on the drill bits used in ratchet drills are about twice the size of those used in braces.  Like those in the last picture.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2019, 05:49:40 PM »
Hey coolford,

You’re absolutely off the charts with these early wooden box socket sets.  I don’t know about some of the others, but you’re introducing me to tools I never knew existed.  I’ve seen some odd lot sockets like those you’ve presented, but never in complete sets, and never to the extent that you’ve presented so far.  This is clearly a first class collection of early socket sets.   I can only imagine what it took to assemble a collection like that.  I hope you’ll keep posting.  I’m a fan and a subscriber to this thread!

The Starrett drill attachment is really a neat contraption.  Until today, I never knew such a thing existed.  It certainly was not in with the Starrett tools I inherited from my grandfather.  I guess I’m not entirely sure how it works.  Is it only for drilling into wood, or soft materials? 

Jim C.
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Yadda

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2019, 06:46:00 PM »
Yes, I like wood boxes, but its hard to find them anymore except for Mossberg.  At any rate, here is a change of pace, a Bog Tool Co. set in a metal box.  This set dates to the 1930's and the ratchet has a patent date of 1932.  Note the 8 point socket set, so they were still serving the square nut needs of buyers.

I like the metal boxes too! Just slightly below the wooden boxes. Never heard of Bog Tool Co. until now. 
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Yadda

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
Hey coolford,

You’re absolutely off the charts with these early wooden box socket sets.  I don’t know about some of the others, but you’re introducing me to tools I never knew existed.  I’ve seen some odd lot sockets like those you’ve presented, but never in complete sets, and never to the extent that you’ve presented so far.  This is clearly a first class collection of early socket sets.   I can only imagine what it took to assemble a collection like that.  I hope you’ll keep posting.  I’m a fan and a subscriber to this thread!

The Starrett drill attachment is really a neat contraption.  Until today, I never knew such a thing existed.  It certainly was not in with the Starrett tools I inherited from my grandfather.  I guess I’m not entirely sure how it works.  Is it only for drilling into wood, or soft materials? 

Jim C.

+1

Fantastic sets. Just utterly fantastic!

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:16 AM »
The drill attachment is designed to use metal cutting drill bits for drilling metal.  Its use is to supplement the old stationary post or barn drill as it allows one to drill metal in the field.  The Starrett drill attachment is not up to the job that "real" drill ratchets accomplish.  I will post a couple pictures of standard drill ratchets in the what is it thread.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2019, 08:29:42 AM »
Metal, huh?  I would never have thought a drill that large in diameter could be literally pushed through steel by hand. That would take some time depending on the thickness of the material.  Even though drilling into metal is done at slower speeds than into wood, there still needs to be sufficient RPMs to do it.  Right?  The user must have to keep significant downward pressure on it while in operation. Coolford, have you tried drilling anything with that gadget?  Does it produce good results?

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »
Well, since we are talking about it here, here is a drill ratchet that is more like those used by iron workers in the old days.  I have it direct from the horses mouth ( iron worker who worked on the iron frame sky scrapers in New York City) that these were used up in the air when a hole was missed on the ground or in the wrong place.  Most holes were drilled on the ground and the beams raised and bolted and or riveted in place.  I also have a couple of the pliers/tongs used to handle the hot rivets.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2019, 09:21:35 AM »
Hey coolford,

Thanks for posting another ratchet drill.  Can you imagine trying to drill a hole in iron sereral stories up using that thing?  I’d love to see it in action, just to see how it works.  Let’s say a worker had to drill a hole through a 1/2” thick beam.  How long would that take doing the job by hand?  It must have worked......

Jim C.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »
Since I last posted the Walden No. 1 lubrication set I purchased a partial set with the needed two sockets.  I still need the proper drive tool and use instead a Walden short extension and a tee bar.  The top of the box is dinged and I have two others in the same condition, they have received hard use since 1920.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »
Here are some socket sets from another manufacturer, Packer Auto Specialty Co. usually known as "Ray Socket Sets".  The oldest is in a wood box in the first picture, the next is one of the first metal boxes with a standard ratchet and the third is the same set with the upgraded ratchet.  These are all the smallest sets they made.  There are three different larger sets and I will show them later.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2019, 06:42:25 PM »
Fantastic sets! The labels for Ray are great!

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2019, 09:10:12 AM »
Hi coolford,

You must be getting tired of hearing it, but those are great sets!  I know I’ve told you this before, but I can’t say it enough.  I’m so impressed with the completeness and condition of the sets you’re posting. While I may not totally appreciate the rarity or significance of what I’m looking at without some guidance from you, I do fully understand what it takes to acquire a collection like yours.  It takes time, patience, discipline, some luck, and a serious commitment of resources with the understanding that you’re in it for the love of collecting rather financial gain.  Anyway.....

Why are the sets referred to as Ray sets, versus Packer sets? 

Jim C.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
Packer was founded by Eben R. Packer.  Could it be that the middle name was Raymond?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »
I have no idea where "Ray" came from, except it was their trademark.  Northwoods may be right.