Author Topic: Double End Adjustable Wrench’s  (Read 1219 times)

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
Double End Adjustable Wrench’s
« on: February 05, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
     For a long time I have been under the impression that there were only 3 manufacturers of double ended Crescent type adjustable wrenches. That being Crescent, Diamond, and Scholler. With the Scholler being the hardest to find.
     While looking through a 1927 Pexto catalog that I got at the Peach Meet last weekend, I came across a page showing Pexto double ended adjustable's, in a complete range of sizes, from the 4-6 to the 10-12. These appear to be the old style with the heavy carbon steel jaws.

The question is, have any of you seen these in any of the sizes?

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Re: Double End Adjustable Wrench’s
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 07:54:46 AM »
Mike---I just sold one on e-bay for $32.10, it was a 6-8 and in poor condition.  It was in my collection for at least 20 years and it took that long to find a better one.  When I get out to the shop I will check to see if there are others.  X-Florida guy

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
Mike---you have been under the wrong impression, here is what I have aside from the ones you mentioned.  Doehl (Germany) 6-8, Durex (Japan) 10-12, Fulton 6-8,Hall Hardware Co. 10-12, Lakeside 4-6, 6-8, 8-10, 10-12, Merit Tool 6-8, 8-10, 10-12, Peck Stowe and Wilcox 4-6, 6-8, 8-10 and that is what I accumulated over the years.  Really haven't been looking much lately for them.  As to who made them, I will not go out on a limb about who was responsible.----Charles

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:52:51 AM »
Charles,
    Thanks for the help. While it didn’t make much sense that there were only three, some how that was my thought. I only collect the 4-6 size but have never run across any of the others in any size. I guess I’ll have to try harder. Thanks again!

Mike

Offline Northwoods

The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
I have one, but don't count it in the same category as the other doubles as the mechanism is quite different and it is not as accurate.

Offline Nasutushenri

• Bussum, The Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 02:44:47 AM »
Don't forget the highly sought after 10" BAHCO 71/72.

http://www.melbys.net/bahco/Collections/Wrenches/Model%2071_72%20Wrench/target1.html

Regards,
Henri

Do not mind my bad English.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/100761653@N07/

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 05:26:47 AM »
Thanks Henri, I wasn’t aware of that one either. The only double ended Bahco I was aware of was the rather common one with the fixed alligator wrench on one end and a Crescent wrench on the other. I think they were marked Volvo also.

I just remembered that Bemis & Call also made one that had an 'S' shaped handle with an adjustable alligator wrench on one end and a regular adjustable on the other. I believe they were only available in a smaller size, like about 6 in. long.

Thanks for all the input!

Mike

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 09:20:52 PM »
Have not looked at Tool Talk for quite a while.  Many years back there was a list of "crescent" style adjustable double enders that had something like 20 "brands" and a couple more have turned up since then.  HERBRAND & KEEN KUTTER are in there somewhere.  The B&C "S" double end pipe & nut was only made in 6 inch - introduced in 1909 & appeared in catalog lists into the 1920s.  Some weird poorly made 1920s imports have odd size markings & no maker name.  Some house brands like "LAKESIDE."