Author Topic: Little bitty bearings  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Little bitty bearings
« on: February 13, 2019, 04:52:27 PM »
My wife uses a walker called a Medline Rollator. One of the rear wheel bearings gave up. I took it apart and saw the problem. New wheel assembly 30- 50 bucks? Not me, no way for just a bearing. Fastenal has a store here in town and I ordered 4 of them at $1.20 each.

Went to pick them up and the guy I placed the order with was not in, but my order was there. The clerk brought out 4 boxes of the little bearings! Mind you these are 8mm by 22mm bearings.

The 4 boxes contained 25 each! The clerk insisted it was correct and the price was correct at a total of $5.20 with tax!

I told them they were losing money. I have replaced the bearings and called  them to see if they want the other 96 bearings returned. Their comment was - Two choices- 1. Keep them since it was their mistake, or 2. Bring them back so their inventory will be correct.

I took them back. I remember a guy in the parts department of Stubbs Cycles in Houston that ordered a small part from Honda, but entered the wrong part # and we got 25 left engine cases for a Honda 90 ! He wouldn't admit his mistake and the store was left holding the parts for ever !
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline amecks

Re: Little bitty bearings
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 08:51:26 PM »
I once ordered from Snap-On one claw type pick up tool. They sent one... bag of ten.  I sent 9 back (at their expense).
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline p_toad

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »
I once ordered two aluminum clamps from some company and they sent me two cartons (of around 10-12 each).
They paid return shipping.   :tongue:

Hope you got her walker fixed up ok.   :smiley:

Offline papadan

• Just an old wrench tugger
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:22:41 PM »
I ordered a set of large drill bits one time. These were 9/16-1" with 1/2" shanks. I got an email telling me they were back ordered and it would be 2 weeks before they ship. I got them the next day.  2 weeks later I got another set. I called them and they said I was mistaken. OK, I still have both sets.
VWs to D10s, I've fixed em.
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 09:27:32 PM »
Honesty is always the best policy, but for a short time , I considered keeping the bearings because they are a common size for skateboards, small scooters, and walkers.
BUT- As I said, honesty is the best policy
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/