Author Topic: Acronymity  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Bill Houghton

Acronymity
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:35:30 AM »
I went to see the cardiologist yesterday - this is a new medical relationship for me, first time I ever saw this kind of doc for me (my wife met her first cardiologist in December, yet another activity that we're sharing as we go along).  Her staff ran an EKG, and, after looking at the results, her preliminary hypothesis (not yet diagnosis - more info needed) is, she said, "PVC."  Of course, I thought, "omigod, I've got plastic?"  But, since my primary care doc had proposed the same possibility but spelled it out - premature ventricular contraction - I didn't say that.  I'm learning when to shut up, although it's taken me 70 years to start to begin to learn.

Context makes such a difference in the meaning of acronyms.

I guess I should be grateful that the medical phrase is not "premature contraction of the ventricle," for which the acronym would no doubt be "PCV*."  I already know I have PCV; my wife mentions regularly fairly frequently that she's positive that I just ventilated my crankcase, though not in those words.

The cardiologist assures me that this is not necessarily a scary thing, but is reserving any further discussion for the results from a couple of tests, including readings from the heart monitor currently glued to my chest.
--------
*"Positive crankcase ventilation," for any non-automotive types here (are there any non-automotive types here?); one of the first emissions control systems put on cars (and, many years later, on motorcycles) way back, it keeps oil vapors from the engine's operation from being spewed into the atmosphere.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: Acronymity
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 12:08:04 PM »
Bill, I can relate, but my experience goes way back about 25 years when I was diagnosed as AFIB. Atrial Fibrillation is a very irregular heartbeat due to mixed electrical impulses in the atrium.

I have learned too many medical terms since then.

I have finally gotten a drug regimin that keeps me at least partly healthy.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 12:39:51 PM »
As I have remarked to many...getting old is not for sissies!!

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline oldgoaly

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 01:37:47 PM »
I'm seeing one but he is getting more confused the more I see him.
My regular doc says I'm giving out mixed signals....Another cardiologist (not a good one) said I had 70% blockages, I said "no I don't, 52 years didn't have any the last 10 years not going to get all blocked up."Needless to say I went thru the cardiac cath procedure only to hear "this guy ain't got no blockages"  Then they were shouting out numbers and I said "Good cholesterol was higher, bad cholesterol was lower" The helpers were miffed that one I had no blockages and two I knew the cholesterol numbers.At least he didn't say you are a dead man walking... Walking on his stress test machine and caused it to burn up, no major fire but the flash of light had me ready to run, the smell of burning wires and smoke coming from the machine was interesting. But the huge amount of "F-bombs" out of the heart doctor.... priceless!
I haven't said any thing about this to this doc, I know they see my EKG & wonder how I'm vertical. But I am not normal... hehehe
A bunch of pics (5000+) of tools and projects in our shoppe
https://www.facebook.com/187845251266156/photos/?tab=albums

Offline p_toad

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 08:13:34 PM »
Just don't have fast afib while you're laying on an emergency room table.   It can get downright shocking.   DAMHIKT

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 08:22:10 PM »
I am always amused when a new nurse feels my pulse ! I am always in AFIB.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:39:35 PM »
I am always amused when a new nurse feels my pulse ! I am always in AFIB.
Maybe if you looked away from the nurse while she's doing it.... :smiley:

Offline Yadda

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 09:57:50 PM »
One of the biggest challenges for new employees at my company is acronyms.  Our operations conversations are littered with acronym jargon. It is almost impossible to have a conversation that doesn't include acronyms.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 11:19:08 AM »
One of the biggest challenges for new employees at my company is acronyms.  Our operations conversations are littered with acronym jargon. It is almost impossible to have a conversation that doesn't include acronyms.
People complain about acronyms and jargon, but every trade and, indeed, every setting will eventually develop a local language with acronyms and specialized words (new words or existing words with new meanings specific to the trade/setting), because the problems faced there need to be described efficiently.  Part of learning anything new is learning the language specific to that trade, discipline, place...