Author Topic: PLOMB tools and tool box. Sorry no picture.  (Read 1264 times)

Offline EVILDR235

PLOMB tools and tool box. Sorry no picture.
« on: April 11, 2019, 02:09:31 PM »
So I went to the Habitat Restore today after my Dr.appointment. I found a small red Plomb tool box marked PLOMB TOOL CO. LOS ANGELES. 7-1/2 inches long, 1-5/8 inches tall and 3-3/4 inches deep. 3 compartments inside. It has one 1/4 drive ratchet a #4749, a 1/4 inch six inch extension #4761 and # 3 straight slot screwdriver socket #4846 in 9/32 drive. It also had a Challenger 1/4 inch breaker bar and about a dozen of mixed brand sockets. The ratchet is a late 1930's style, not a WF military contract model. Most of the redish / orange paint is intact, so I will probably leave it as is. I paid $2.17 including tax.

EvilDr235

Offline Northwoods

Re: PLOMB tools and tool box. Sorry no picture.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 02:29:02 PM »
I hate you so much! 
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 04:30:36 PM »
I have two larger Plomb tool boxes, but they both look like they were ran over by a Panzer tank during WWII. That 9/32 drive socket was a good find in it's self. Now I can finally use my Plomb 9/32 ratchet and misc Snap-On 9/32 drive tools. Northwoods, don't hate me, be glad for me.

EvilDr235

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »
Congrats.  Celebrate your find!

Our local ReStore has gone in the direction of higher prices.  They've had a Craftsman doweling jig - probably made by General Tool, with a turntable on top of the clamping body with the holes in it.  It's missing the turntable, which basically makes it an oddly-shaped C-clamp.  They want $4 for it.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 04:59:32 PM »
My Habitat store has just about doubled their prices. I have not been in there too much lately after a $17,000 sewer hookup bill from the city and the plumber. I just have to start being more picky at what I buy there. garage sales will be starting soon. Yay.

EvilDr235

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »
There was a Habitat store here, but it never had the treasures you seem to find. It closed some time ago and reopened in Webster ( near Houston ) but I only went there once It was the same as the one here.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 05:32:59 PM »
I have two larger Plomb tool boxes, but they both look like they were ran over by a Panzer tank during WWII. That 9/32 drive socket was a good find in it's self. Now I can finally use my Plomb 9/32 ratchet and misc Snap-On 9/32 drive tools. Northwoods, don't hate me, be glad for me.

EvilDr235

I have mellowed since my first post.  I think I was channeling Eric Cartman.  http://filmgarb.com/eric-cartmans-hat/ 
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 06:32:31 PM »
Evil- I had just posted to Ebay a Plomb WF7 breakover. Let me know if you are interested, and I will take it down and make you a Tool Talk deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192887425716
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 07:38:29 PM »
Pretty broke at the moment thanks to a failed septic system, but thank you for the offer. New septic tank or hook up to the city. Before I can ever sell my house it has to be hooked up to the city sewer system anyway, so I hooked up to the city. You should have seen all my neighbors when my plumber tore up a 7,000 volt power line in my front yard killing all the power in the area. You should have seen me when the plumber was back filling the trench he dug and tore out my water line.

EvilDr235

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 09:57:10 PM »
Ouch! That sounds like a real nightmare project.
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 01:57:19 PM »
It could of been much worse. Power was off less that two hours. The power company came out and switched to another line while they repaired the line in my yard. The plumber had everything on site to fix the broken water line. They ran appox a 100 foot line from the back of the house to the curb. I was worried more about what damage the backhoe could do to my house.

EvilDr235

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 06:54:32 PM »
Didn't Diggers HotLine locate the buried power line before hand?   In Nebraska if you dig without contacting  Diggers HotLine (which in turn contacts all the utilities which might have something buried in the area ) and hit something you are liable.  If you contact Diggers HotLine & the utilities come out & locate their stuff, and it is not where they said it was, the onus is on them.
That does not solve the problem of the water service which probably is on you from the corporate tap into the house, or if you are in a suburban / rural location where you have your own well.
I live in an old house which had  city water & sewer added in roughly 1911 (that's when they laid the brick streets in this part of town & the water & sewer mains are buried beneath that street).
The sewer line is too shallow so I need a lift pump for bathroom & laundry in the basement, and the water service line is so "limed" up from  over a century of hard water that the upstairs shower will not  work if you flush a toilet downstairs or have a hose running in the yard.  The sewer main is deep enough that the line could be dropped, and the water service line is directly above the sewer, so one trench would take care of both issues, but I'm afraid to get a quote from the City & a plumber for how much it would cost me to correct things.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 06:24:48 PM »
When the power company came to fix the power line, the plumber gave him his insurance information. And it turns out the power company did mark the lines location, but in the wrong spot. The water line to my house was broke by the plumber was fixed very quickly. All in all, it was not that bad.

EvilDr235