Author Topic: I've no idea  (Read 1401 times)

Offline Sudsy

I've no idea
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:12:33 PM »
1/2" drive socket
Pivots on a cotter pin
I think it's missing a screw

I got nuthin ! No clue

Offline Twertsy

Re: I've no idea
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 05:23:45 AM »
valve lapper socket

Offline skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
X3

Offline pritch

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 09:11:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure I have one of those around here somewhere. I never knew what it was, either!

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:46:12 PM »
Interesting: the valve lapping tools I've seen are designed for use back and forth - like a Boy/Girl/Cub Scout trying to start a fire with a dry stick.  I wonder if this was designed to use with a T-handle?

In one of my boxes, I've got a brace (tapered square shank) bit with a valve lapping end on it; but I don't have time to dig it out right now.  I don't have, and don't expect to have, any motors with valves with the little holes in the valve face required for that type of tool, so it's more a curiosity than a useful tool.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 01:17:13 AM »
A tool like that is useful to old engine collectors like myself. I have 81 small engines at this moment with dates ranging from 1929 to about 1982. Most are old cast iron engines like Briggs & Stratton, Maytag, Clinton, Johnson Iron Horse, Reo, Continental, Fairbanks Morse and Tecumseh. I have been putting together a pretty good collection of tools for working on my old engines.

EvilDr235

Offline Twertsy

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 08:36:33 AM »
Interesting: the valve lapping tools I've seen are designed for use back and forth - like a Boy/Girl/Cub Scout trying to start a fire with a dry stick.  I wonder if this was designed to use with a T-handle?

In one of my boxes, I've got a brace (tapered square shank) bit with a valve lapping end on it; but I don't have time to dig it out right now.  I don't have, and don't expect to have, any motors with valves with the little holes in the valve face required for that type of tool, so it's more a curiosity than a useful tool.

These sockets are made for braces.  In the 20's, many were welded/press-fit/notched on and couldn't be removed.  It was simply a valve lapper tool, not a brace.