Author Topic: reciprocating saw  (Read 2287 times)

Offline jeanballey

reciprocating saw
« on: June 05, 2019, 06:29:03 AM »
I have to cut trees from stump. I want a to buy a reciprocating saw for this purpose. I am thinking of a corded one. Which saw is best? Please suggest.

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Re: reciprocating saw
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 07:41:03 AM »
Though such tools are not the main focus of this group, my reciprocating saw is a Ryobi. Others may have their own favorites.

Welcome to Tool Talk !
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline Redneck Albertan

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 08:55:10 AM »
I have a Milwaukee. They invented the reciprocating saw in 1951. Dewalt also make good tools.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 08:56:08 AM »
Milwaukee.  I have their cheapest one, and it's an excellent tool.

Unless it's a small tree, you might be better off with a chain saw.  See if your rental yard offers one.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »
Hello, I'm with Bill on this one. There are a lot of options for a chain saw, the standard is 2 cycle gas engine, or you could get an electric chainsaw. I also believe there are battery operated chainsaws, (cordless) available. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline p_toad

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 08:27:43 PM »
While my recip is a Ridgid (part of a set) and cuts well; if you have a substantial amount of cutting you may want to try one of those battery powered units.   My neighbor has one she uses all the time and it seems to do well for 6-8 inch stuff.

Welcome!   :smiley:

Offline mable

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 01:07:04 AM »
I have a Dewalt Bare-Tool DC385B reciprocating saw.It provide up to 3000SPM and 1.12stroke length.It comes with a 4-position blade clamp .It takes only 15minutes to recharge.It is lightweight , weighs only 5.6 pounds .I use it not only for cutting trees but also for other things. I came to know about it from a friend , then checked reviews online here and saw this video- https://youtu.be/eYD4scLo7JI. I am very happy with its performance.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 06:54:59 AM »
Question post  and response.  Welcome Newbies! 
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 09:27:05 AM »
Chainsaws are nice, but there are definite advantages to a reciprocating saw:
1) Recips are quieter (obviously). Sometimes that matters depending on your neighborhood.
2) Recips are easier to handle, for folks that don't have the arm strength to operate chainsaws.
3) Recips can be used one-handed, for those overhead branches that are juuuuust out of reach.
4) Recips are more versatile. (Just switch blades if you ever need to cut metal, cut PVC pipe, cut drywall, etc.)

That being said, I would advise going with the battery model. They have plenty of power, and who wants to drag a long extension cord around the yard?   
My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 12:02:58 PM »
For infrequent use, the corded model might make sense: cost less than a battery-powered one, no need to remember to check that the battery is charged, potentially less weight.

You didn't mention, by the way, Jean, how big this stump is.  Depending on your strength and experience with tools like this, and if the stumps are small, a pruning saw might work.  Slower, and it will induce more sweating, but you're safe from kickback.

Offline cuttin board

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 04:32:24 PM »
check craig's list and save at least 50%. Just about any will do the job.

Offline Ken W.

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 10:24:57 PM »
I use my cordless Sawzall to trim some branches last year. I bought a pruning blade from Home Depot. It works really well. However , I really prefer a chain saw.