Author Topic: Looking for Herbrand DOE Van Chrome wrenches  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Jim C.

Looking for Herbrand DOE Van Chrome wrenches
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:46:07 PM »
Okay, a little while back, I was trying to complete the six piece Herbrand obstruction wrench set.  I did complete the set, but occasionally I had to buy wrenches in lots causing me to end up with ten standard Herbrand DOE Van Chrome wrenches in the process.  So what the heck, I thought it might be a good collection to continue.  I'll admit that I really like the old script logo stamped on the heads.  Anyway, I have no idea how many are in the Herbrand set, but I'm guessing there could possibly be as many as are included on the industry standard DOE wrench list.  Theoretically there could be several dozen.  So, I'm on the hunt for Herbrand DOE wrenches with the words "VAN CHROME" cast on the shanks in raised letters.  See photo below.  If you have any extras stashed away, I'm interested.  Let me know what you have.  Also, if anyone has an old catalog, or list of wrenches included in the Herbrand set, that would be helpful to see.  At least I'd know what I was looking for.  Thanks!

Jim C.       
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:19:48 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Yadda

Re: Looking for Herbrand DOE Van Chrome wrenches
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 06:50:02 AM »
That script on the head is iconic. Good luck!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:30:40 AM »
Hey Yadda, that’s my thinking too.  It’s definitely a cool logo.  I kinda got hooked on it.  When I was looking for the obstruction wrenches, I felt like I frequently encountered standard DOE Herbrand wrenches all the time. Now that I’m officially looking for them, they seem to have become more scarce!  I’m probably just imagining that.  What I’d really like to know is how many Herband made.  Like I said initially, I’m going to assume they followed the DOE industry standard list until I find out otherwise.

Jim C.

Offline mrbill

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »
...  Also, if anyone has an old catalog, or list of wrenches included in the Herbrand set, that would be helpful to see.  ...

A few here https://archive.org/details/internationaltoolcataloglibrary?and%5B%5D=herbrand&sin= and check this 1937 one on page 83 https://archive.org/details/HerbrandCatalog50M1937/page/n83.  It looks like you have a few to go!  :)

Bill

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 08:25:14 AM »
Here are my Herbrand tools.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 08:57:42 AM »
...  Also, if anyone has an old catalog, or list of wrenches included in the Herbrand set, that would be helpful to see.  ...

A few here https://archive.org/details/internationaltoolcataloglibrary?and%5B%5D=herbrand&sin= and check this 1937 one on page 83 https://archive.org/details/HerbrandCatalog50M1937/page/n83.  It looks like you have a few to go!  :)

Bill

Hey Bill,

Thanks for making that easy.  Looking at the second link you posted, it appears there are 42 wrenches in the set.  Okay, so I’m about a quarter of the way there.  I’ll keep hunting!

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 08:58:39 AM »
Here are my Herbrand tools.
-Don

Nice collection so far, Don!

Online skipskip

• Contributor
  • Glenmont NY USA
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
I only have one in that pattern 

1737  1 1/8 x 1 1/4  DOE

is that one you are missing?

Skip
A place for everything and everything on the floor

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 07:27:52 PM »
Hey Skip,

That’s one of the ten I actually have.  It’s a big honkin’ wrench!!

Jim C.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 07:17:55 AM »
Here are all the DOE's that I have for sale/trade=LMK if you are interested......Cranky
Top to Bottom Left to Right
H-3 Tappet
H-1 same 3ea                                       1028
                                                            725A 9/16x7/16 w/grind marks
                                                             25 5/16ussx1/4uss w/previous owners marks
                                                              1021-S 5/16x1/4
1723 7/16x3/8
5/8x7/16 tappet
88 3/8x11/32
87  11/32x3/8
84 1/4x7/32 2ea.

14 total wrenches

E-mail address  dhdslimbow@yahoo.com
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2019, 06:47:48 AM »
Hey Crankshaftdan,

Sorry I missed your post!!!  I’m still looking for those old Herbrand van chrome DOE wrenches.  If you still have that #1028 wrench, I’m a buyer. Thanks..

Jim C.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2019, 08:20:40 AM »
Yes, still here collecting dust-was there any other herbrand tools/wrenches or ??? that you are looking for?   Also, give me a zip code so I can quote you a delivery price.   Thanks.........Cranky
Looking for USA made ratchets-all sizes-drives and lengths  also S-K SuperKrome wrenches ditto.  Like to trade vs buy run it past me-nothing is cut in stone!

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2019, 06:26:20 PM »
Cranky,

Just one question.  The recent photos you sent make the wrench look like one of the openings has been altered, or make to be larger than the size indicated on the wrench.  Has the opening been altered?  Thanks for any additional information you can provide.

Jim C.

Offline crankshaftdan II

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2019, 06:48:59 PM »
J.C.

I am sure glad that you brought that to my attention as I just went to the basement and looked at the "Van Chrome" on the handle and never paid any attention to the size or openings!   You are 100% correct as it has been altered by a previous owner/s on both ends-MY BAD!!   They screwed up a very nice vintage piece for what reason???   Probably needed to make it fit some other application and did not have another wrench?   My apologizes.......Cranky      Thanks for the keen eyes!

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2019, 09:20:43 PM »
Okay Cranky, thanks for the additional info.

Jim C.