Author Topic: And after work...  (Read 1229 times)

Offline amecks

And after work...
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:52:47 PM »
  I drove out of town on Route 5 only a few miles to a "tent sale" which was located next to an antique shop.  Wow!  I was very glad I decided to stop there.  Everthing was a dollar except the pry bar ($4), the Fuller wrench set ($2), and the little micrometer ($2).

Fuller metric wrenches 10 11 12 13 14
Pry bar - Standard Dieset Co. Prov. R.I.
Another brass brush - I really like these things
The screwdriver turned out to be "Made in Japan" but its pretty decent
Screwstarter by Aircraft Spec Lapeer Mich
Speedy 1/2 wire brush
Mini micrometer 1/2" with fractional to decimal cast on the front and back
The first thing I picked up at this sale - a true whats-it?  Knurled handle (stamped 2-3/4) with sort of gage tabs and a set of spacers marked 3/4, 1/2,3/8, 1/4, 3/16, 1/8

Knife sharpener with PAT NO 1749442
Hex universal - somebody here will want this   
Herbrand wrench marked VALVE STEM NUT WRENCH NO. 171
6" adjustable Powr Kraft
ratchet box Kd No. 63 - 1/2 x 9/16
AC SPARK PLUG torque wrench - ratchet head is good, pivots a limited number of degrees, torque portion is not movable at this time - I'll keep you posted on this.  Made by JO-LINE TOOLS INC.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Plyerman

• CONTRIBUTOR
  • Northern Michigan
Re: And after work...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 08:32:47 PM »
Nice load of goodies you got there. The Whatsit looks like a shop-made "set" gauge. We use something like that to "set" our dial bore gauge before measuring a hole. 2-3/4" plus whatever spacers you put in between the tabs should be the size it is set up to measure. Add more spacers to set for bigger sizes.  (Alternatively some folks just use a micrometer)

My friends call me Bob. My wife calls me a lot worse.

Offline amecks

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 08:45:54 PM »
Thanks.  I guess if making repeated measurements a fixed set up tool would be better than a mic which would have to be carefully set each time.  Looking at the picture of the tool I now see there seems to be a 1/16" spacer also.

Been out in the garage - got the AC torque wrench freed up.  Will soak it in something tomorrow.  After unscrewing the handle there was more info after the company name...Pat 2743638 and 3016773 "and other patents".  While these two patents say 'Not known to have been produced", the drawings are quite different than the actual tool, although the mechanism must be similar.  It ranges from 5 to 75 lb-ft.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:23:46 PM »
Nice haul!  Love the prices! 
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 08:37:02 AM »
I have one of those AC Spark Plug torque wrenches. I did a project at an AC distribution center back in the 80's and the one guy that worked there was a real character, if you carried a knife he had to sharpen it for you and it was sharp when he was finished with it. He asked me one day if I had one of the AC torque wrenches I said no I don't, he said wait a minute, walked away and when he came back he said you do now. I never really used it, but it has graduated from my basement general tool box to my Gerstner Tool chest upstairs with some of my collection. Picture quality not very good but I think you can see it ok. There is a locking ring on mine just above the handle grip to hold the desired adjustment when in use, maybe that is what has yours frozen.

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
Here is mine that I bought new a very long time ago. When I was wrenching it was used on every spark plug I installed.
-Don
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR

Offline amecks

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 02:29:07 PM »
Don's wrench has a similar ratchet head, and both of yours have grips similar to mine.  The adjuster was jammed tight to the maximum setting.  Carefully backed it off and was able to turn it by hand.  Its now soaking in parts cleaner fluid. 
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
Nice haul.

The Speedy wire brush is a cleaning brush for prepping copper pipe for soldering. A plumbing tool, one of the trade names of tools made by Chicago Specialties Manufacturing Company.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 06:04:59 PM »
Nice haul.

The Speedy wire brush is a cleaning brush for prepping copper pipe for soldering. A plumbing tool, one of the trade names of tools made by Chicago Specialties Manufacturing Company.
And a much better tool than the poky* wire brush they offered for a while.

*Think "poky little puppy," rather than "poky in your finger."

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »
Hello, Al. Nice finds!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
I never knew, by the way, that there were specialized torque wrenches for spark plugs.  I just use a regular old torque wrench.  I used to just use a regular old ratchet, torquing the plugs to one grunt; but changing plugs is such an infrequent event these days, and so many modern cars have aluminum heads, that doing it by the book makes sense.