Author Topic: Ebay sales  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
Ebay sales
« on: August 04, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
Old tools I am trying to sell on Ebay and Facebook Marketplace  are not selling ! I want to sell off most of them , but I won't give them away !

I would like to sell some H D Smith tools, and some Bergman tools , but just can't bring myself to post them just to give them away !
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline amecks

Re: Ebay sales
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 08:44:40 PM »
Temporarily at least, I'm not selling on ebay.  Maybe Craigslist, depending if I have something in demand (recently sold a Proto top chest for my asking price in two days).  The stuff I sold on ebay was no doubt not as collectible as what you're selling Papaw.  Most of the time I would price my item to be the lowest price in its category.  Often it would be on the bay for months before selling.  What I have now will not sell well on ebay, but yesterday at the Curtiss Museum Classic Motorcycle Meet I sold enough to bring home $130 - after paying for my spot and gas to drive 2 hours there and back.
Study the prices of ebay's sold listings as well as current listings and price your items accordingly.  Craiglist is free for tool listings and it might be worth a shot, you may connect with another collector.  Also look for local events like car and motorbike swap meets. 
Al
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline leg17

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:48:31 PM »
Old tools I am trying to sell on Ebay and Facebook Marketplace  are not selling ! I want to sell off most of them , but I won't give them away !......

What is your eBay seller name?

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:03:26 PM »
Old tools I am trying to sell on Ebay and Facebook Marketplace  are not selling ! I want to sell off most of them , but I won't give them away !......

What is your eBay seller name?

Papawswrench , but I don't have much there right now. I have been in a kinda funk about it lately.

I have sold a few things on Craigslist.

Offline Lostmind

• Wellington, Ohio 44090
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 07:14:42 AM »
I have sold a lot of collector tools in the last 10 years.
About 18 months ago the market went away, I don't even try to sell on line , postage puts you out of the market.
I sell a couple times a year at swap meets , maybe 7-8 tools will move for the price I paid or less.
I did a couple bulk sales a few months back , got about $2 a tool.
I suppose they will end up in a dumpster when I'm gone.
Part of the problem I think is Harbor Freight has devalued tools to throw away status.
Not a lot of people care about quality now.
Of all the things I've lost , I miss my mind the most

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 12:48:48 PM »
When I teased my daughter that if she got a certain large tattoo I would take her out of my will. Her snarky response was” Oh darn, I really wanted all of those tools”. Us white beards are dwindling in numbers and few of the next gens are interested.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 02:23:25 PM »
Hello, Guys. I haven't been monitoring the ebay market, mostly due to my busy summer work schedule. I hope that for all of us, things will turn around. User quality tools have always been a good seller for me, and I try to (buy) sell only USA made tools. Collectible woodworking tools go to Donnelly's auction. Machinist tools are also a good seller on ebay, whether user or collectible. I am not very knowledgeable regarding collector quality wrenches.  I find anything that may appeal to collectors is heavy, so I try to group by maker or category, and use the large flat rate boxes.I have accumulated 1000's of tools to re-sell, everything has been paid for by selling a few items from each group, the remaining items are the potential payback. . Good luck to all, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 02:27:33 PM »
ya aint gonna agree,but start a few at .01,of course with the appropriate shipping....yes you might be working for nothing

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 02:45:00 PM »
ya aint gonna agree,but start a few at .01,of course with the appropriate shipping....yes you might be working for nothing

Done that a few times with little success.

Offline amecks

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
I've been working it like Lou the past 2-3 years.  I buy stuff and keep the few pieces I want, and hopefully sell some items to cover my cost.  It has been working so far!  People like to look at the old heavy wrenches, but they will buy shiny chrome wrenches, especially if they are a small set.  Most of what I sell is at prices way below what similar items sell for on ebay (even not including shipping - just the item price).  But all I need is to recover my initial investment.  Swap meets are tough when you have to pay for a spot and gas money.  Fortunately one swap meet (our own motorcycle club) is free.

Here's a link to my post on Britbike.com about the Curtiss Meet last Saturday:
http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/780565/a-day-at-the-curtiss-classic-swap-meet#Post780565
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 03:30:28 PM »
I only sell on e-bay in the winter months, usually starting about the middle of October and until April.  Most tools go to guys, and they have other things to do when the weather is okay.  I buy a lot of tools at auction, and can get really great buys at times, but at other times high dollar people are there and I just go home.  I also have a couple of shelves at a place called "Treasure Gallery" and have been there nearly 10 years.  People know I price tools low and I have constant turnover.  My shelves cost me $14.00 monthly plus 5% and I figure I have to sell about $50.00 monthly to break even with e-bay charges.  I rarely sell less than $100.00 per month and last month I sold just over $300.00.  The tools I sell on my shelves are those that will not sell well on e-bay.  By now I have figured it out, and can even get rid of China stuff.  Actually, its a game for me, to build my collection free and so far I'm probably ahead.  My system works for me, but may not work for others.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 07:02:49 PM »
Ebay is a weird place. Sometimes you find great deals, other times the sellers are on crack. Many people are knowledgeable about what they're selling - others act like it but don't have a clue. Some priceless gems go for reasonable, but alot of overpriced junk gets sold, too. It's just how that place is.

I check in semi-regularly, and go through my want list just to see what's up. If I see something I want, I try and get it. But I don't lose sleep over misses.
Ratchet Guru

Offline amecks

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 08:27:47 PM »
coolford,  the Treasure Gallery sounds like a great idea.  There's places like that around here.  Can you take a photo of your tools at that place so we can see what it looks like and what kind of stuff you sell?  That would be helpful.
I did learn this weekend that at least two people were looking for 10mm and 12 mm wrenches.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
A local antique mall that has a lot of traffic rents a small space with shelves and a counter for $6 a month. Full booths are near $200. Out of my reach, and the few guys there that sell old tools have lots of other antiques to make the booth worthwhile. The old wrenches , etc. seem to hang there forever.
The vendors always seem to think rusty is valuable.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 03:52:17 PM »
I will take a couple of pictures the next time I go, but I only go every couple of weeks.  Pawpaw it sounds like you need to take advantage of the $6.00 shelf.  As an add on, I put a large shipping tag (2 x 4") on each tool with some information on it.  I give them an idea of the age of the tool and certainly list USA if it is and how to use it if its something like an old nail puller. I have sold lots of old monkey wrenches that never seem to sell on e-bay.