Author Topic: Craftsman wrench set from France.  (Read 909 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Craftsman wrench set from France.
« on: August 06, 2019, 05:54:53 PM »
This type of wrench is not common in the US, but is common in Europe.  Apparently they were made by Facom in France for Craftsman to sell in the US.  However, I have never seen another set, and thus have not used this set as it is new in spite of the plastic coming apart.  The 9 sizes in the set are up to 3/4" and the curved end is 12 point and the straight end is 6 point.  The 12 point end is a pass-through and can also be used to put a bar through to provide more torque when using the 6 point end.  I bought these about 5 years ago at the Webster, Florida monthly auto flea market.

Offline Jim C.

Re: Craftsman wrench set from France.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 04:04:29 PM »
It's not too often that I can actually respond to one of coolford's posts with positive content and a little interesting information too.  The Facom made, Sears /Craftsman branded, angle socket wrenches were offered in Sears catalogs from about 1994 to 1996.  They were also available in the their department stores as well as their hardware stores.  Full retail was $75 per set.  I remember seeing these at my local Sears store around the time they came out, and thinking they'd be nice to have......but not for $75.  Based on my situation at the time, I just couldn't justify buying either the SAE or metic set.  Every time I went to Sears, I'd stroll through the tool isles, maybe buy something, and usually check out those wrenches.  The funny thing is that every time I saw those wrench sets, there were plenty on hand.  They were either flying off the hooks and they kept restocking them, or they couldn't give them away.  One or the other.  Eventually, after looking at them for almost two years, I asked one of the sales associates what was up with those wrenches.  Well, it was the latter.  The wrenches just weren't selling.  He also told me, kinda on the "down low," that they'd be going on sale pretty soon and to check back every couple of weeks because the price would keep dropping until they were gone.  I took his his advise and checked back every week or so.  After a few months they were priced at $25 per set.  (See the price reduction stickers in the second photo below.)  By the time they hit $25 per set there weren't too many left so I bought a set of each, SAE and metric.

The wrenches themselves seem to be pretty well made and I'd say the overall quality is very good.  That being said, even after I got them, I rarely used them.  While they're handy and their design is unique, I still found myself reaching for my standard DBE, DOE and combo wrenches.  I'm not even sure why, but I hardly used them, and now that they're sort of collectible, they never come out of the drawer....except for pictures. 

Jim C.     
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:15:55 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 03:29:42 PM »
Jim---You have filled out the responses I got on the Garage Journal Forum.  In general Sears made a mistake, in thinking the wrenches would sell in the U.S.  They are common in Europe and in general use and thus Sears came to the conclusion that they should sell in the U.S.: but that was not the case.  You demonstrated in the price drops at Sears that people in the U.S. just didn't think they were worth spending  serious money on them.  Oh well, just put them away and a Craftsman collector will pay big money for them some day.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 04:15:01 PM »
Hey coolford,

I AM THAT CRAFTSMAN COLLECTOR!  It’s funny that those wrenches are some of the few collectible Craftsman tools I have but didn’t pay big money for them.  When I bought those wrenches, I fully intended to use them.  I had no idea they’d be sort of collectible someday.  At the time, I was really only interested in collecting hand planes, and busy overpaying for user quality examples.  Collecting wrenches wasn’t even a thought.  Well, 20+ years later I got a little redemption.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:34:19 PM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline Yadda

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 07:09:02 PM »
Facom makes some nice tools.  These wrenches are neat.
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....