Author Topic: sshh! Don't wake Ron Darner  (Read 2488 times)

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
sshh! Don't wake Ron Darner
« on: November 12, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
Ron has been asleep since Oct 7 and I don't want to wake him so I'm posting this quietly.

Here are my two old Black and Deckers. The big one came from St. Vinnies. It works. If this old 475 rpm drill hooked in a hole, you were definitely going for a drill gun ride. The world looks different when you are turning at 475 rpm. I found one with the same housing and trigger in the 1931 Shadbolt & Boyd Catalog, but it's 500 rpm, not 475. Price in 1931 was $50. The data plate says it is a special.

The smaller one is a quarter incher. My 90 year old pal Maynard Does got it from his dad. In 1929, after the crash, Maynard's dad worked part time at a hardware store repairing lamps and toasters etc.  He asked the boss if he could take the corporate drill gun home for the weekend. The boss said it was OK. When dad came to work on Monday, there was a sheriff's padlock on the door with a foreclosure notice. Maynard's dad was owed for last week. He kept the drill.  It still works. It has an unusual chuck. It is an early keyless, but has holes for a Jacobs Chuck wrench, but no gear teeth. Has anyone seen this before?

http://s1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb373/johnsironsanctuary/OLD%20POWER%20TOOLS/
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:03:33 AM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan

Offline ron darner

• RIP 4-18-1941- 9-30-2014
Re: sshh! Don't wake Ron Darner
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
(Yaaawwwn)  Hey, is it morning already?  Why didn't anyone wake me up?

Well, the chuck is NOT a Jacobs #1A, judging from the photo.  That's what is on the only 1/4" Black & Decker I have from around that time, with the hexagonal motor section.  I think that the holes were for a Tommy bar, and then you turned the outside by hand, using the diamond knurls for grip, but that's only a guess.  Can you try doing that?

Oh - and I HAVE been on here since October, though only briefly and sporadically.  Had several outdoors jobs that needed doing, and don't want winter to arrive before I get most of them done.  Think I may have responded to some items in Whatzit forum.
Arrogance and Ignorance have more in common than their last four letters!

Offline rusty

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »

Oddly, I saw one of those at the flea last week. I remember the brass trigger switch too...odd feature. I doubt anyone bought it....
Just a weathered light rust/WD40 mix patina.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
I cleaned the chuck and got out my magnifying glass. It says: ETTCO No 1 B&D
Eastern Tool & Tube Co. Brooklyn NY USA   Pat 9-1-14 others pending.

All that on the little band between the knurls on the chuck. I haven't taken it apart yet, but the outside of the chuck is one piece. Knurls and holes for a tommy bar are on one piece. Tap the bar with a mallet to tighten? The chuck works fine.
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan