Author Topic: Top USA Sockets and wrench brands  (Read 3873 times)

Offline Jimmy Joiner

Top USA Sockets and wrench brands
« on: August 23, 2019, 01:20:15 AM »
I am interested in your sockets and wrenches (spanners for us) after reading how much you love the hunt and showing them off. There are USA tools down here so I can keep an eye out for anyone and forward the site details.
Which brands/models are top shelf for you guys?

Jimmy

Offline Jimmy Joiner

Re: Top USA Sockets and wrench brands
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:43:43 PM »
This is every Saturday morning, near my daughters sport, these all look fairly modern, but there are trays of older wrenches, I’ll look for older items looking made in USA.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 06:53:56 PM »
Hello, Jimmy. Looks like it's your turn to do some diving (into that basket)!!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Yadda

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:25:50 PM »
Jimmy, check out the Alloy Artifacts website for an extensive list of American and other made tools.  Everyone here has their favorites.  Maybe ask about favorites and why....
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline p_toad

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »
Do they still count as favorites if i like them all?   :embarrassed:

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 10:37:46 PM »
I’m starting to see a trend here fellas..... 
ha ha

Offline t115145

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 02:19:44 PM »
I prefer SnapOn, I've been working on aircraft for more that 40 years.  In descending order, SnapOn, MAC, Proto, Bonney, SK, Craftsman.  I own some of all after SO, because the other brands have individual tools that are best for unique jobs.  As a collector I focus on Plomb, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a travel kit.

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 04:12:17 PM »
Thank you T11, that gives me something to go by next time at the markets, there are literally thousands of wrenches there every Saturday. I’ll see what I can find.
Jimmy

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 05:29:48 PM »
I prefer SnapOn, I've been working on aircraft for more that 40 years.  In descending order, SnapOn, MAC, Proto, Bonney, SK, Craftsman.  I own some of all after SO, because the other brands have individual tools that are best for unique jobs.  As a collector I focus on Plomb, and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a travel kit.

I was humorously commenting on a Craftsman facebook site that they should go over to Proto, and another fellow commented that he favored Wright and S-K.  I know S-K rats are fine tools, the basis for all roundheads, but don't know anything about modern Wright rats.  He said they are solid, heavy, and strong.
What say you?
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Yadda

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 06:21:30 PM »
Do they still count as favorites if i like them all?   :embarrassed:

Of course!
You might say I have a tool collecting problem....

Offline Papaw

• Owner/Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Alvin, Texas
    • Papawswrench
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
When I was wrenching for a living, I used SK because they were often available in the pawn shops. Now I use whatever comes to hand, but I still like SK over Craftsman.
Member of PHARTS - Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Flickr page- https://www.flickr.com/photos/nhankamer/

Offline t115145

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 09:08:10 PM »
Northwoods, never used any Wright tools.  I heard Pennens ratchets were bullet proof.  I just have had such good luck with SnapOn, and their usually thin enough to get into tight places in the planes.  I'm still using my original OEX wrenches I bought in 1976. They're like old friends.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
I have an SK socket set from the early 1980's still working fine, as well as two sets of Bonney combo wrenches. With the explosion of outsourcing and foreign imports since the 90's metric tools have become a necessity, so metric tools of these brands are always worth looking for.
Ratchet Guru

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 12:47:53 AM »
Australia’s famous brand is Sidchrome, they have been doing both Metric and imperial for decades, look on Australia’s EBay if you’re interested in good metric products.
Jimmy

Offline d42jeep

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 04:13:06 AM »
I pretty much agree with this list. When I was wrenching for a living back in the dark ages my favorites were Snap-on, S-K, Proto and I really liked Cornwell ratchets. I collect vintage Snap-on, Plomb, S-K and Thorsen. I also have odd brands like Barcalo, Duro Chrome, Walden, Dunlap and Powr-Kraft, although I’m not sure exactly why. My main focus is WW2 vintage tools.
-Don
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:21:30 AM by d42jeep »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society
CONTRIBUTOR