Author Topic: Wen Electric Hand Plane  (Read 2876 times)

Offline amecks

Wen Electric Hand Plane
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:21:31 PM »
Found this in a small shop, "Attic Interiors",  near where I work.  $10.  Works well but probably needs sharpening.  Wen Electric Hand Plane Model 930.  Any idea how old this is?

Al
Jordan, NY

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Wen Electric Hand Plane
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 08:04:42 PM »
Hello, Al. Nice find on the plane!!  There is a similar plane on ebay, I couldn't spot a date on the printed material, but there is a zip code. 60's-70's?? here is the link. Regards, Lou

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Used-Vintage-Wen-Electric-2-1-8-Hand-Plane-Model-930-with-Guide/303209061886?hash=item4698ab1dfe:g:q3EAAOSwR65dGoP9
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »
I remember first seeing one of those on the job in 1960 or so.
My Dad was having a house built, and one of the workmen used an electric plane to fit and hang doors.
It was slick as all get out.  I was a little squirt and was much impressed.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »
It could date back as early as the 50s, continued into the 60s or 70s.  The motor and handle look near identical to the motor and handle on their Model 909 Allsaw, which I believe was first made in the 1950s, and which would have been a great tool if only they hadn't decided to use a proprietary size of blade shank (and if they'd beefed up the splines on the motor shaft; I once twisted the splines right off an Allsaw, cutting overhead and jamming the blade).

That's a fairly cool design, with the ramped front shoe for depth of cut.  And, unlike some of the power planes of that period, it's not limited to edge planing - though I hope it did originally come with a fence, since edge planing is where a power plane really shines (see Northwoods' comment about fitting doors).  With a good power plane, you can screw up a door nearly instantly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 03:08:42 PM by Bill Houghton »

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 03:12:08 PM »
Hello Bill. I didn't catch that there was no fence!!! Regards, Lou

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 03:36:21 PM »
It would be easy enough to make one, particularly if you were mainly concerned to plane at right angles; although a little adjustment would be nice for doors, where you want to slightly bevel the latch side.

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 05:29:41 PM »
Hello, Bill. I agree with making an after market fence, and if anyone here could do that, it would be amecks!!! Regards, Lou

Offline amecks

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 07:45:38 PM »
I'll be keeping my eye out for some appropriate materials.  Thanks for the usage tips guys.
Al
Jordan, NY