Author Topic: Almost gave it away.  (Read 1244 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
Almost gave it away.
« on: October 02, 2019, 03:43:43 PM »
Bought a lot of vise grip type pliers at auction to get a couple I wanted.  Several had been used in welding and were worthless except for more welding.  Another one was rusty and no name I could see so I threw it in with the bunch I was giving away.  Don't know why I looked again, but I noticed some writing on the lever.  So I cleaned it and found a patent No. 1,489,458.  It is a Peterson Vise Grip, the second patent, April 8, 1924.  I guess the early ones did not have the name Vise Grip?

Offline Northwoods

Re: Almost gave it away.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 04:32:23 PM »
I did almost the same thing today.
I have a friend who has several barn sales each season and gives ALL of the proceeds to his church.  I always take him some stuff.  Today it was two tool boxes full of tools and a German army camp stove.  And a kraut cutter.  (no jokes here, please.)
As we were emptying things out and placing them on his sales board, I realized I had found my long-lost Proto Los Angeles pipe wrench.  Had to pull it out.  His wife accused me of being a bad person, but I am keeping my pipe wrench.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline EVILDR235

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 06:58:11 PM »
1924, that's a real early pair. I have several pairs with a 1943 patent date. Vise grip locking pliers are a great tool. I have a small pair that belonged to my wife's late uncle. They are still in the original cardboard box with a price of $2.35  Mine are all made in the U.S.A. using U.S.A. parts. I have several U.S.A. made knockoffs also.

EvilDr235

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:48:26 AM »
The form is from ca. 1940 thru just after WWII.  The VISE_GRIP marking on the tools from that era was a red & yellow decal on the side of the fixed jaw.  I have a "file" of ads including ones from 1935, two from 1940, 1941, etc. The images are too large to post here.  I do have one example with the decal about 75% intact, but it has the 1942 patent number. I posted a copy of the 1940 ad in FLICKR ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/mvwcnews/48880447906 ).   The odds of finding one from 1940 or '41 with an intact decal are not good.

Papaw edited to add the photo of the ad-
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 04:39:51 PM by mvwcnews »

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 03:28:10 PM »
Stan---much thanks for the information.