Author Topic: Dowel Jig  (Read 1495 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Dowel Jig
« on: October 03, 2019, 08:59:05 AM »
Hello, I have a different use for the dowel jigs, whether it is a Stanley, or one of the self-centering jigs. I have had to drill a hole from the hinge side of a solid wood door, to the latch side, for an electronic latching system. The widest door we drilled was 48 inches!!!! I draw a level line across the door ( on blue tape) and then connect with a square line on each edge. I set the dowel jig for center, ( we usually use a 3/8 dia. bit), and use the drilling guide for my 1st hole with a jobbers length bit. Then I drill agin using a 6" length, 12" length, 18" length, and then a 24" . Repeat the process from the other edge and (hopefully ) meet in the middle. The jig keeps the holes straight, and once you get past the 12" bit, the hole is your guide.We had to weld an extension on the 24" dit to get to the middle of the 48" door. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

Re: Dowel Jig
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »
And I most recently used mine to drill centered holes on a device that holds the RV steady by propping it up under the rear frame.  I had to remake one part after forgetting it was there, and the jig served nicely to make precise holes, more quickly than it would have taken to whittle a jig for the drill press.

Offline Jimmy Joiner

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 02:19:23 AM »
Great work Lou, and Bill! I still have one somewhere. I used to really enjoy using it too, just for laminating timbers though. Yes call me boring.....

Jimmy

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 09:27:44 AM »