Author Topic: Are these Stone Masons Gouges ?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline rustyric

Are these Stone Masons Gouges ?
« on: October 03, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
Hi from Brexit Land

This is my latest Boot Sale find. Are these Stone Masons gouges. They have tips fire welded on. One is marked Gilpin.

Thanks in advance

Offline wvtools

• Contributor
Re: Are these Stone Masons Gouges ?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »
They do not have a typical stone chisel shape.  I would guess that they are plumber's gouges, used to make or enlarge holes in wood walls, floors, boards, studs, etc. for pipe.

Offline pritch

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »
Caulking irons, more likely, for the old lead & oakum pipe joints

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:08:03 AM »
Hello, rustyric. I don't think they are caulking irons, which are usually offset to the shank, and the ends are blunt. Not to mention the mushrooming on the heads, those were struck hard, to go into, or through something, overkill for for lead , or, oakum. I agree with wvtools, these are all steel gouges for rough work. There were a lot of all steel chisels designed for rough chopping , for the trades. Here is a link to a set of all steel gouges.https://www.garrettwade.com/stainless-steel-chisels-and-gouges-gp.html?SCID=W4011000&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4NnFzIiF5QIVEq_ICh0sDQavEAQYASABEgLyFfD_BwE
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
I think caulking irons are pretty unlikely, too.  That last one would be suitable only for a pretty small diameter pipe.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 02:28:43 AM »
And small pipes wouldn't have been caulked.  Caulked pipe was drain and soil lines (MOSTLY)

But small holes around small pipes were sealed with oakum and sometimes lead wool to seal them from the exterior.

I still have some lead wool, I think it was last used by me around 2000ish.

Chilly

Offline rustyric

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 04:50:17 AM »
I think the idea about plumbers gouges sounds more feasible. I have have friend who has been a plumber for 50 years I will ask him and see what he says.

Offline rustyric

Re: Are these Stone Masons Gouges ? ANSWERED
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 02:34:20 PM »
I have spoken to my friendly plumber and he confirmed they are Plumbers Gouges. He says when he worked with lead as an apprentice 50 years ago, he would use them to caulk with. Apparently you use the curved section of the gouge to pour the molten lead down into the pipe joint with and them use them to ram the semi molten lead home in the gap you are filling.