Author Topic: Craftsman 3/8" Drive Ratchet  (Read 1579 times)

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Craftsman 3/8" Drive Ratchet
« on: October 03, 2019, 04:27:54 PM »
Hello, I have been soaking this in Aero-Kroil for a bout a week now. Everything was frozen, the first thing to move was the shifter, then the push button moved.I still could not the the drive to turn, and I couldn't get it apart. So, I put a 7/16 socket on the ratchet, and chucked up a 1/4-20 hex bolt. I set the clutch on the drill at its lowest setting "2" ( able to stall the chuck with 2 fingers) . I started going in forward /reverse, the chuck stalled until the 6 setting, and then, the drive broke free. I think the vibration from the chuck rattling things around, and the f/r rotation got things going. There is still rust pouring out of this thing!! What should be my next move?? Thanks, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Jim C.

Re: Craftsman 3/8" Drive Ratchet
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 07:34:40 PM »
Hey Lou,

If you can disassemble the ratchet now, maybe soak all the individual parts in Evaporust, clean off the residue, and lubricate throughly with Superlube, re-assemble it.  Also, that was a clever idea you used to break the main gear free.  I don't know if i would have thought of that, but I'll surly remember it for potential future problems!  Good idea! 

Jim C.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:18:36 AM by Jim C. »
Our Go-To Type Study Member

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »
Hello, Jim. I am having a heck of a time with the retaining spring on the drive side. Any hints?? It is badly rusted, too. Thanks, Lou

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 08:09:13 PM »
Lou,

Maybe try soaking the ratchet head in evaporust. You need to get a the rust out.

Jim C.

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
Lou,

I got to thinking more about the trouble you’re having getting the main gear, retaining plate and spring out of the ratchet head.  It could be rust.......or suction.  Try clamping the ratchet to your bench (use a soft jaw or padded jaw clamp to avoid damaging the finish on the ratchet handle), then get some needle nose pliers around those two little spring tabs.  Squeeze them together.  Grab the socket post with your thumb and pointer finger on your other hand and lift everything straight up.  The clamp will hold the ratchet down enough to break the suction as you pull up on the socket post.  Maybe that will do the trick.

Jim C.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:15:11 AM by Jim C. »

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 09:07:03 AM »
Don't know if I would go to all that trouble dealing with a $4 garage sale ratchet.
But if I saw it as a challenge, I would alternate gasoline (not in an enclosed space or near a spark) and vinegar.  Trade off for an hour each, back and forth.
Put the post in a vise and give it a little wiggle--not much--now and then.  And don't hesitate to give it little taps as well.
If that doesn't work, well...the world has lots of Craftsman rats.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »
Hello, Jim. I will try again, having trouble getting a bite on the tabs. Hello, Northwoods, I found that in a dollar box. Does that make it more, or less, worth fixing?  :grin:

Offline Jim C.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 12:17:23 PM »
Lou,

Those tabs do get beat up and harder to grab on to the more you use the needle nose pliers.  You can’t do too much about that.  I very recently had trouble taking apart a 1/2” drive Cman ratchet.  I buggered up the tabs and couldn’t get it part.  Trying to hold the ratchet with one hand and pull up with pliers on the tabs wasn’t working and the tabs were getting rounded on their edges.  After MANY tries, it occurred to me to clamp the ratchet to my bench so I could pull on the socket post with my now free other hand.  It came right out on the first try.  When you finally do get it apart and later attempt to put it back together, make sure to put the bad side of the tabs facing down so the next time you need to take it apart, the tab edges are square and a lot easier to grab with the pliers.  They’ll also look better in the interim.

Jim C.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »
Hello, Jim. I will try again, having trouble getting a bite on the tabs. Hello, Northwoods, I found that in a dollar box. Does that make it more, or less, worth fixing?  :grin:

Hey there.  I was afraid I would pi$$ someone off--there are a lot of C-man maniacs out there.
Glad you finally got it working.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 03:17:56 PM »
Hello, Guys. I am going to stop fussing with this tool, I feel like I will snap the spring long before I compress it. It's a user, and I don't want this to fall into the category of "I kept fixing it until I broke it" . Regards, Lou ( I can always put it in one of my garage sales for 4 bucks)   :cheesy:

Offline international3414

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 05:49:15 PM »
i'm laughing,done broke one of them adjustable wrenches,them old ones that pivot....cant recall the name