Author Topic: Get it up tool co.  (Read 1383 times)

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
Get it up tool co.
« on: October 05, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »
Wandering around down town today cruising the local pawn shops ,second hand stores, etc, and found a few items. This guy is marked Ratchet wrench on one side and Get it up tool Co on the other. It's 12 1/4 " long and is a little beat up. Sockets are 19 and 22 mm.  I got it, a 3/8 Cman ratchet and 2  3/4" deep sockets for $5.
So I.m scratching my head trying to fiqure out what the name could be referring to. Did a bit of preliminary research and found that there is a company in Edmonton Alberta called Get it up tool Co. Seems they source most of their items from offshore and this tool is referred to as a scaffolding wrench. So I Guess that the name does make sense. Anybody else ever seen one of these guys

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Get it up tool co.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »
Hello, Gibsontool. Try looking up podger. Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 10:03:54 AM »
Well, as a scaffolding wrench, the company name makes sense.  And as a scaffolding wrench, the pointy end would help with alignment of holes in components before putting a bolt through.  I'm not aware of any medical uses for a tool like this.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »
Hello, The term podger, or, podger spanner, may have come from across the pond. Podger loosely refers to wrenches used for assembling scaffolding, whether ratcheting, or, fixed. Maybe they got the company name from looking at Klein Wrenches?   https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/construction-wrenches/erection-wrenches   :cheesy:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 11:42:59 PM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline gibsontool

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 06:32:52 PM »
I spent many years in construction and a big percentage of those years dealt with erecting buildings and various other structures and I had never heard the term podger before. I see Klien calls there version erection wrenches. The only way I ever heard them called was spud wrenches. I think Iptools is correct as to where the got the "get it up" name from.

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:07:43 AM »
I spent many years in construction and a big percentage of those years dealt with erecting buildings and various other structures and I had never heard the term podger before.
Perhaps the term didn't make it across the pond, or, if it did, it got lost wandering across the cold prairies between you and the east coast of Canada.

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »
I would have thought that the Get It Up Tool Co made little blue pills. :grin:
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan