Author Topic: Unusual pair of dividers  (Read 1351 times)

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
Unusual pair of dividers
« on: October 10, 2019, 01:36:11 PM »
Hello all,  I found this unusual divider 6 inch, well made- quality tool. One leg has a "hook" formed, the other leg pointed as usual. marked on one leg (looks like)  "OSBORNE ---"  not for sure on the first two letters. Can't make out the last , but could be "USA".  Anybody have ideas, on it's use.

Thanks

Joe B

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
Re: Unusual pair of dividers
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
Hello, Joe. Most likely C S Osborne Co. . They made tools for the leather & upholstery trades. I just looked through one of their catalogs, no dividers with a hook. Maybe modified by former owner, just a guess. Regards, Lou
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 04:15:40 PM by lptools »
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 03:54:33 PM »
Channeling compass, cut a groove in leather to hide a seam or to allow you to bend the leather at that point easier.

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 04:00:37 PM »
Salaman calls it a Compass Race in his book on leather working tools.

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 04:08:06 PM »
Thanks , you gays are fantastic.   So , see every now and then the mystery tool does in fact, turn out to be a leather working tool.

Joe B

Offline Bill Houghton

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 04:16:11 PM »
Thanks , you gays are fantastic.   So , see every now and then the mystery tool does in fact, turn out to be a leather working tool.

Joe B
When it's not for chain repair.

Over on Old Woodworking Machines, the consensus is that unknown devices are most likely (a) cream separator parts, (b) tire repair tools, or (c) saw sharpening thingies.  Here, we seem to get chain repair or leatherworking tools a lot more frequently.

Offline lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 04:31:16 PM »
Hello, Guys. That is a new one for me, I have never heard the term before!!! Regards, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 07:27:45 PM »
Great , thanks again for the identification. Now I'm still perplexed as to how this thing would be used. If the idea to score a line on a piece of leather parallel to an edge, the hook is bent the wrong way to "hook" and guide from an edge. ??? We need an expert leather worker person here.  Thinking about it some more ( it hurts!)  the way the hook is formed, , could facilitate scoring a line on a piece of leather laying adjacent to an already trimmed piece. maybe to mark a line for a sown seam.  Just thinking !!!

Joe B   

Offline Lewill2

• Bucks County PA
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 10:34:41 AM »
My pair are made by T. Dixon & Sons. The hooked section is about 1 inch wide. The pointed leg has a bend in it, not sure if it was made that way or user modified.

Offline JoeCB

• Contributor
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
Thanks Lewil … so this is a commercial tool. I still can't figure out what function it was designed for. ??? Need a leather work expert.

Joe B