Author Topic: Wrench ID  (Read 1152 times)

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
Wrench ID
« on: October 21, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
Hello, I could use a little help with info on these wrenches. The one at top has a 1RN338 on the handle, and the Uebler has W18 on the other side of the handle. Thanks, Lou
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online amecks

Re: Wrench ID
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 03:08:47 PM »
Hi Lou.  I don't think I know what the 1RN338 is but what is the OD of the spanner pegs and how wide are they?  Some motorcycles use those 4-slotted nuts.  Are the wrench ends metric?
(edit....)
Internet search turns up a posting right here on Tool Talk - http://www.papawswrench.com/vboard/index.php?topic=8995.0

An ebay listing calls it a hubcap wrench.  It a;so says it's 11-1/8" long - so prolly not a motorcycle tool.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:16:00 PM by amecks »
Al
Jordan, NY

Online lptools

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »
Hello, Al. I saw the listing for hubcap wrench, but that looked a little sketchy, so I put it on here. The O.D. on the pegs is 2-1/8", and the pegs are approx. 3/8" wide, and overall length is 11-1/8". The hex opening is 1-1/8" across the flats. I am going with Port Plug Wrench, Patent Number 1390371. Thanks guys!!!  Now for the Uebler :cheesy:
Member of PHARTS-  Perfect Handle Admiration, Restoration and Torturing Society

Online amecks

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 08:21:25 PM »
Sorry I didn't realize how large it was.  I got excited because I'm looking for a wrench or socket with 4 teeth like that but only approx 1 inch diameter.
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline johnsironsanctuary

• Contributor
  • Super Contributor and Geezer in training
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 12:44:09 PM »
My AC Mack had four slots in the valve plugs. I never saw a tool made for that. I made one out of a Lincoln rear caliper piston that had an 1 1/8 hex in the center. The OD of the plug was 3 3/4 inch. A number of the old jug type engines had valve plugs because they didn’t have removable  heads. Bulldogs had 1 7/8 valve heads , but yours was probably for a normal size auto engine valve plug. When the spark plug was at the bottom of the plug, you could thread a plug in the spark plug hole that was drilled and tapped for a bolt and washer to hold the tool down onto the valve plug. Hmmmm, an awful lot of the word plug. I hope it is not too confusing.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:18:39 PM by johnsironsanctuary »
Top monkey of the monkey wrench clan