Author Topic: Age(?) for this 6" JP Danielson Pipe Wrench, Stillson Pattern. Dug up!  (Read 4779 times)

Offline PullTabPete

Hey all. Did an intro already and had a question about a 6" pipe wrench I found.
I was out metal detecting yesterday at an old overgrown barn/shed next to a heavily traveled road, trying to get use to my metal detector. Acreage just started getting cleared the day before so I thought I would explore.
Out of the oil saturated ground comes a small pipe wrench. Had to get it home before I was able to see anything because of the oily silt packed in every crevice. The oil really helped preserve it though.
Here is what I see.
One side it says:
"JP Danielson Co Inc
Stillson Pattern
Jamestown NY USA"
"6IN. Drop Forged" (same side, recessed part of the handle)

Opposite side says:
"Tool Steel"

Top of the adjustable jaw, recessed area of both sides:
"6"
There are no "forged on" numbers or letters.

Other peculiarities I've not seen on any images of similar wrenches are:
1)The top of the all metal handle before it enters the "nut keeper" area is not reinforced or thickened. The sides of the handle are polished smooth from the factory.
2)There appears to be some copper visible below the fixed jaw and the flat metal piece that is used to keep tension on the nut. Would this be considered contamination of the metal alloy?

Web info I've come across points to pre- 1927. But I've found some conflicting info about the JP Danielson Co. (1907 vs. 1917).

So I'm hoping someone here has some info on the circa date or other info to share.

Now, on to the images and thank you in advance for any info you can share. Cliff

Offline PullTabPete

Re: Age(?) for this 6" JP Danielson Pipe Wrench, Stillson Pattern. Dug up!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »
More images

Offline mikeswrenches

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 08:32:40 PM »
Here’s a lot more info on Danielson. If you’re not familiar with AA(not the one you’re thinking off), it should be your first stop when researching old wrenches/tools.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/danielson-jp-company.html

Mike
Check out my ETSY store at: OldeTymeTools

Offline PullTabPete

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
Thanks Mike.
I did find that site which actually listed Papawswrench forum for helpful information.
The page I landed on here (I think) also has a link to historical information on the Plomb Company, which acquired Danielson.
There was a difference on when Danielson Co. was acquired by Plomb as well as other differences on the principal players/owners.
(My apologies in adavance if I was confusing Plomb Co. with Plumb co.)
On the link you provided has an image of a 6" pipe wrench that comes up when clicking on the "Pipe Wrench Tab" at the top of the page. The one I found is similar but different.
1)The top of my handle just below the "yoke" (+-1") that holds the nut is not thickened like the 6" one in the link.
2)There is no partial or full "forged-in" code on mine.

Ah ha. I think the link you provided has an image of my wrench.
At the link there is reference to an advertisement run in the "Plumbers Trade Journal" page 325 of the February 15, 1921 issue that appears to match mine. Hard to see for sure and limited ability to enlarge it.
Thank you for the link. It appears to be circa 1907 (Co.founding)-1921 (advertising date).
Cliff

Offline PullTabPete

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »
Here’s a lot more info on Danielson. If you’re not familiar with AA(not the one you’re thinking off), it should be your first stop when researching old wrenches/tools.

http://alloy-artifacts.org/danielson-jp-company.html

Mike
Is it normal for a secondary metal  to show up in the manufacture of these older wrenches?
I'm referring to what appears to be copper around the narrow side of the lower jaw, just below the teeth.
(Last image of the first group and the first two of the second group.)

Thanks again for all the help.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:43:07 AM by PullTabPete »

Offline bill300d

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:20:31 PM »
PTP.
More than likely it had a light copper plating on it. Some mfgs. Dr sold tools with a coating like that as spark resistant (notice I didn't say non sparking!) And if I recall Plomb/Proto was one of those Co's.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline Northwoods

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 06:26:46 PM »
Right you are about the Plomb tools w/ copper plating.
I have a Plomb WF-18 3/8" drive extension with nice copper plating.  8 1/4" long.
The ORIGINAL Northwoods.

Offline PullTabPete

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 05:44:19 AM »
Bill300D and Northwoods.

Thanks for that little tidbit of info. I'm definitely not an electrician but I wonder what the manufactures reasoning was for this line of thought.
Seems like everyone who used one near an electrical source could have been named "Sparky". I would think copper would increase the conductivity of the tool.

Appearance wise it must have looked awesome with that copper plating.

Again, Thanks for the insight. PTP
ps. The oil saturated soil it sat in for 40+(?) years sure did help preserve it though.

Offline bill300d

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 06:00:50 PM »
Spark resistant and spark proof tools are used in explosion or flammable prone work.
A person who could really read human minds would be privileged to gaze on some correct imitations of chaos.

Offline J.A.F.E.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 10:00:29 PM »
Sparkproof and non magnetic tools are usually beryllium copper or more recently aluminum copper. Plating with copper would not be acceptable in modern industry for sparkproof tools although it may have been at one time.
All my taste is in my tools.

Offline PullTabPete

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 08:23:18 AM »
Thanks for the replies Bill and JAFE.
I have it safely tucked away.

Offline Chillylulu

• CONTRIBUTOR
Spark resistant and spark proof tools are used in explosion or flammable prone work.

One of the most common explosive environments is grain storage.  Especially flour. Textile manufacturing plants were some of the earliest structures to get fire sprinklers. Well,  not sprinklers. Rather, they had systems of pipes with holes drilled in them.

Before some of the modern metals I could see using copper plating for spark safety.

Chilly