Author Topic: I'm confused, HELP  (Read 1213 times)

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
I'm confused, HELP
« on: October 30, 2019, 03:56:57 PM »
I bought a box of Billings offset wrenches at the MVWC auction.  I'm aware of the old sizes that relate to the bolt size, but these wrenches show more than that and a couple even have the same number and list different nomenclature.  They include the following CAP, NUT, OC AND USS.  Here is an example there are two No. 1557, both are the same size but marked different. One is marked 1/4 USS,5/16 OC on one end and 1/4 OC on the other and the other 1557 is marked 1/4 CAP on one end and 5/16 CAP on the other?????

The wrenches are new, never used but rusty on the unpainted surfaces, when I finish cleaning them I will post a picture.

Offline bonneyman

Re: I'm confused, HELP
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »
Those sound like the old, pre-standardization nomenclature on wrenches. I think wrench sizes became standardized to what we know today around 1926? IIRC? Someone else would know better.
Ratchet Guru

Offline amecks

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 07:19:37 PM »
Well this will either clear things up or make you hopelessly mixed up...the Industry-Standard Numbers for Open End Wrenches on Alloy Artifacts.
http://alloy-artifacts.org/table_oe_wrench.html
Al
Jordan, NY

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:17:26 AM »
Al----I appreciate your post and link on Alloy Artifacts.  I had never noted that listing before.  However, although not completely hopeless I'm still confused.  None of my Billings and Spenser wrenches show SAE, but they do show USS, CAP and Nut.  However, they also show OC which is not mentioned by Alloy Artifacts. The Billings table does not help as my wrenches are all in the 1500 series.  And, lastly two of the wrenches have the same number (1557 and 1559) two each with different markings.  Oh well, will keep looking.

Offline coolford

• Old as dirt
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 02:22:04 PM »
Here are the wrenches, I have added two out of my stash.  Then the name and lastly a picture of nut and cap.

Offline mvwcnews

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 12:43:47 AM »
The "O" is not that letter -- it is a distorted "hex" -- indicating hex head cap screw size.   A description of the size marking convention  along with some notes where size tables might be found has  been posted in past MVWC Newsletters.  The marking convention I believe was instituted by BILLINGS & SPENCER -- or they at least promoted the idea.
A WILLIAMS 739  laying next to my chair at present is marked  3/4 USS //  1" "hex symbol" C // 7/8" SAE on the small open end  (actual opening is 1 1/4") and 1 1/8 "hex symbol" C on the large open end (actual opening is 1 3/8") -- it was a gift from my granddaughter & her husband.